Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   Danger, don't do this. (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/danger-dont-do-15333.html)

Laurentius 02-04-2011 03:06 PM

Danger, don't do this.

My oven just cleared, there's a roaring fire. So to test out my new insulated oven door and my new 1000 degree thermometer, I closed the door and it reaches 800 degrees and climbing in less than a minute, so satisfied I take the door off and out jumps a 6 feet flame, wow. Children don't do this at home.

Tman1 02-04-2011 03:55 PM

Re: Danger, don't do this.

Reminds me of that movie... heck if I can think of the name though. Any singed arm hairs?

Laurentius 02-04-2011 04:01 PM

No, it came out face level, but no damage done, just frightful.

Tscarborough 02-04-2011 04:11 PM

Yes, you do not want to door it with an active fire. Carbon monoxide is flammable, and you can make a flash-fire.

RTflorida 02-04-2011 04:38 PM

BACKDRAFT!!!
Great movie for all of us pyros.

RT

Les 02-04-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurentius (Post 107374)
I take the door off and out jumps a 6 feet flame, wow.

Reminds me of the time I had a party and spit a mouth full of Everclear into the oven - GREAT ball of fire. :eek: (I did get the idea from one of our first builders) Wife was screaming at me, one guest thought I was on fire, and another I think was running for a hose (or his life).

Lburou 02-05-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurentius (Post 107374)
My oven just cleared, there's a roaring fire. So to test my my new insulated door with my new 1000 degree thermometer, I closed the door and it reaches 800 degrees and climbing in less than a minutes, so satisfied I take the door off and out jumps a 6 feet flame, wow. Children don't do this at home.

I'll file your experience away and try to never put a door on a raging fire....Whew! I had a similar thing happen in my wood stove insert yesterday with a cerial box bursting into flame when I put it in there with the door open -big flame only 6 inches outside firebox. Fire is an unpredictable thing until we get higher on the learning curve. Thanks for the heads up L. :)

C5dad 02-05-2011 07:12 AM

TS nailed the Carbon Monoxide right on the head. A rapidly expanding flammable gas an ignition source and the fact that energy goes from high to low (hot to cold) and WHOOF - you gots yourself a fireball! Did your eyebrows survive is my question?

GianniFocaccia 02-05-2011 09:11 AM

I wanna know if Les' eyebrows survived... LOL!!!

RTflorida 02-05-2011 04:45 PM

Les is the man...a drinker of gasoline. Never had the mouth or stomach for Everclear

RT