Old 02-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Danger, don't do this.

Don't drink Everclear and cook pizza at the same time
Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Danger, don't do this.

I don't see a strong need to keep an extinguisher for the oven as it is pretty well contained. Don't ever spray a garden hose directly in your hot oven as it will cause a steam explosion probably worse than the previous discussed backdraft and possibly damaging your oven and/or you. (fyi water expands 1700 times when converting to steam and has the power to move locomotives). While I haven't tried adding steam for baking bread it only takes a very small amount (garden sprayer or spray bottle) to accomplish the goal.

The only likely problem I can see is trying to remove hot coals and dropping them on a combustible material in which case the garden hose makes the best sense. When would you need to extinguish your oven fire vs. just letting it burn out or closing the door?

With all this said, a CO2 extinguisher along with a handy garden hose certainly adds an extra level of security and peace of mind.

As to the Everclear - never use it to extinguish anything other than your good senses. Makes for good youtube videos as well.

My projects:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.