Old 02-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Danger, don't do this.

RT - its a different product from what they had back in the day - its only 151 proof. There must have been some litigation because there are a ton of disclaimers on the bottle. Like keep away from fire, contents may explode, etc.
I was expecting the result so not one hair got burned. I tried to find the video Robert posted but no luck - do you remember watching it? Funny as hell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les,
the 190 is what I remember from my youth and was banned in my native OH 20+ yrs ago. You can't even get the 151 there now. FL still allows the 151 as well as a few other states from what I understand. My first experience was in 9th grade, I watched a guy do the flamethrower act with a bottle he smuggled into an Alice Cooper concert, he coated the mensroom wall with flames. Being young, stupid, and impressionable, I was amazed.

RT
Old 02-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Journeyman

Ohhh, my gut (and throat) hurts just thinking about the Bacardi/Everclear drinking days. Though flamethrowing was always interesting spitting the stuff out. I once worked for a national cosmetics firm who had 150 proof alcohol for use in perfume/aftershave. After a few incidents of the inventory being off (the ATF does not like that) and rumors of a weekend party in the plant, they decided to switch over to the stuff with an additive which would cause the drinker to vomit. Plant management sent the word out about the switch. Needless to say, one idiot did not believe it, consumed his daily ration and made a hug mess out on the floor. Thank goodness it was near the fragrance bottling section!

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Apprentice

What you experienced was a classic backdraft (and yes a great movie). Smothered, smoldering fire which when you opened the door provided the much needed oxygen part of the fire triangle with explosive result. A backdraft is different from a flashover (rapid ignition of fire gasses - mainly carbon monoxide). A flashover occurs when you have an enclosed space full of unburned gasses with plenty of oxygen and heat and they reach their ignition temperature and ignite all at once.

Couldn't help myself on this one since I teach Fire Science.

My projects:
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Master Builder

I have a related question: How do you quickly and safely extinguish a roaring fire without creating a lot of smoke?

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Master Builder

My suggestion would be to use a CO2 fire extinguisher and keep the nozzle back from the opening such that the rapid chill of the expanding gas would not crack the WFO. Let the draft of the fire suck the CO2 in and kill the fire. One could extinguish the fire and not hurt the WFO.

We have a CO2 for use in the the house should we ever have a chimney fire. We keep our home chimney clean but I believe in safety and redundant systems...there are two dry chemical fire extinguishers up stairs in addition to the CO2. Also more at ground level but we live and sleep upstairs at the present. Dry chemical extinguishers are cheap and effective but make a huge mess.

Hope this helps,
Wiley
Old 02-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Apprentice

My wife has a vintage Ford Bronco that she drives in the summer... had a steering column fire at the mall and a good samaritan stopped and put it out with a dry chemical extinguisher... saved the truck, took me a month to get it cleaned up.. and i now have a fire extinguisher strapped to the roll bar.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Apprentice

I agree with the comments about the extinguishers. I would add that using a dry chemical extinguisher around food is bad unless it is specifically rated for such. Dry chemicals are great extinguishers but a terrific mess. Keep a CO2 handy.

I would only use the CO2 extinguisher if I needed to get back into it immediately otherwise I would just put the door on and let it smother. It is only a problem if you open it back up while it is superheated since once it cools it is not a problem.

My projects:
Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is an interesting thread. Does anyone keep a fire extinguisher permanently out by the pizza oven? I don't but it seems like a good idea...

Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've never felt I needed an extinguisher near the oven, even when I truly scared myself with a couple of fires, I felt the fire was contained enough and there were no combustables nearby. That said, if the need ever arises I have a hose bib and garden hose just a few steps away.
The CO2 extinguisher seems to be the best course - no chemicals to clean up afterwards and no water saturation from the garden hose. Now that I think about it, I may run out and buy a CO2. I've been down the road of water saturation and don't want to go there again...even to save the neighborhood.

RT