Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Cutting refractory bricks

Quote:
(afraid dust would ruin my new one)
The best saw in the world is cheaper than wrecking your lungs. Use a respirator when dry cutting, is my advice.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepster View Post
Ah...good advice.... I've got one of those! Just off to get the blade......
Shepster
Shepster, I know exactly what you mean. I've read a number of the posts and I am pleased someone mentioned using an angle grinder. Thats what i'll be doing. Mine is a 230mm, I bought a diamond blade for it on the weekend off ebay £5.00. bargain really. Tested it out earlier on some engineering bricks, cuts pretty sweet.

Good luck.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Peasant

Angle grinder is great - you can take the guard off to make it more manuverable. I first saw this being used by a tile contractor. You can also use the grinder to make curves. It works like a sander or hey A GRINDER! I still use an old skill saw for straight cutoffs. It is much faster and the blade cuts all the way through.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:19 AM
Serf

Thats all great but a friend of mine just cut through the tendon of his big toe with one so I am now opting for the hire option with a table saw.
One weeks hire £112 plus £140 to buy the blade and plus vat! I know its expensive but so are accidents!!! I am also a bit of a chicken!!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:39 AM
Apprentice

Why are your good blades £140 when my good blades are $30???
Old 08-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Serf

Good point! They are from a US company, Norton Abrasives. Never mind we do have free medicare!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Laborer

Shepster: are you doing a lot of correct cuts or do you just want halves and quarters? If you only want the latter, I bought a 7" wet tile saw that'll score the bricks for breaking: it was £50 - you're welcome to borrow/steal it for as long as you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Serf

Thats a really good offer. I am only doing halves but from following the pompie instructions (!) i thought it was best to have the cut faces inside. Does that follow? I am really interested in your offer. where abouts in Cambs are you?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Laborer

Just west of Ely off the A142. The tile saw is no longer in a brand-new condition but was fine for the build.

You can get a so-so cut on the brick doing 1 side cut then a whack with a bolster. It took me a morning to cut 100 bricks which was pretty much enough for the dome. For 1/4 bricks you need to give the brick a lot of prompting where you want the break clean, so you can do 2 or more sides. I was able to make angle cuts for the final courses, but not so well.

I agree with you, a 9" angle grinder with a diamond blade would be flat-out terrifying.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Apprentice

Clean factory face inside / ugly cut face outside. Outside will never be seen once it is covered in insulation...