Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 02:33 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: concrete countertop questions(again!)

Made 2 small slabs for my wife to see. 1st one is pure white sand/cement second uses 50% granite sand. I'm leaning towards the pure white but it's a bit chalky looking so I'm considering adding some coloured aggregate or glass(had given up on this idea for a while). If I do add something does it need to be visible in the concrete surface to come up when polished? How much does some polishing take back the surface? Eg does it just remove the outer millimeter or more?
Old 12-07-2013, 03:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Made 2 small slabs for my wife to see. 1st one is pure white sand/cement second uses 50% granite sand. I'm leaning towards the pure white but it's a bit chalky looking so I'm considering adding some coloured aggregate or glass(had given up on this idea for a while). If I do add something does it need to be visible in the concrete surface to come up when polished? How much does some polishing take back the surface? Eg does it just remove the outer millimeter or more?
Exposing aggregate depends on how aggressively you sand...how it looks depends on what you use in the mix design. If you want minimal sanding, you can seed the form before you pour ( of you are casting upside down) or after you fill the mould.

There are variables to your question. You need to first ask yourself, what do I want to see as a final finish? Then go from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 12-07-2013, 05:24 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Stonecutter. Casting in situ and whether I use glass or coloured aggregate ill seed afterwards so it's exposed. I assume I still need to trowel it in to obtain a decent finish to grind?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes... Mag or steel
RichC likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 AM
Apprentice

@Stonecutter, jet trying to get this right re your recommendations on mix "This is a basic mix design I have used for many pieces and had very good success.....by volume measuring - 1.5:2:3, H2O 1/2----Portland, sand, sharp graded aggregate. Substitute 10% of the water volume with a good polymer, which will greatly reduce the chances of shrink cracks. For sand only mixes - 1:2 Portland, sand. H2O 1/2 with 20% polymer. What you use for your volume measuring doesn't matter, as long as you stay consistent. "
So for a sand cement mix I should use 25kg Portland:50kg sand:10l water and 2.5l plasticiser? I've never seen this much plasticiser used in a mix and I'm wondering have I the right product:
http://www.goodwins.ie/p-355-mortar-...iser-25lt.aspx
Thanks
Richard
Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

By the description it seems like it will work..but take suggestions for what they are. I have never used that product so I'm not sure, and I can't vouch for it.

Also, you are skipping the aggregate portion of your mix, and the mix you are referencing uses it. You should make a couple test slabs first, and adjust your water ratio if need be. I have used proportions similar to that design for sand only, but since material varies so much place to place, you need to test sample before you commit to large pieces.

Further to that point, those ratios are not my mix. It is a fairly standard design, I just tweek the proportions to suit the material.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin