Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 03:37 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Checking the internal temp of meat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Whutt

Whutt

I feel another "sand vrs. marbles" exchange developing here
Let me re-phrase my answer.
What Mitchamus said: you don't have to re-calibrate a thermometer for altitude. If it is right at sea level it will be right at altitude.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
Let me re-phrase my answer.
What Mitchamus said: you don't have to re-calibrate a thermometer for altitude. If it is right at sea level it will be right at altitude.
What I said
Quote:
No matter what the device, digital or manual, you may have to test the tool for your elevation and adjust your "readings" accordingly. Here is one site that has a chart . (Sorry it is in fahernheit) If it ain't close, you may want to return it or throw it a way.
I'm very sorry that I wasn't clear. I did not say anything about "recalibrating for altitude". But, if you know the boiling point of water for your "elevation" (altitude) you can "test" your thermometer. I live close enough to sea level to use 212 F. Denver Bronco tailgaiters would use 202 degrees. I don't have any of the digital probes. But the manual probe that I use the most is about 2 degrees low. When probing for internal temperature, I take that into consideration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
What I said

I'm very sorry that I wasn't clear. I did not say anything about "recalibrating for altitude". But, if you know the boiling point of water for your "elevation" (altitude) you can "test" your thermometer. I live close enough to sea level to use 212 F. Denver Bronco tailgaiters would use 202 degrees. I don't have any of the digital probes. But the manual probe that I use the most is about 2 degrees low. When probing for internal temperature, I take that into consideration.
That's the trouble with the English language, it's never clear. I really did read your post as suggesting that you need to adjust the thermometer for altitude.
Apologies. I'll shut up now.