Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: ceramic heaters for first firing?

So would using 2 ceramic heaters work if just one doesn't quite make it to the higher temps?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeii Nate View Post
So would using 2 ceramic heaters work if just one doesn't quite make it to the higher temps?
I think its the thermal safety switch the is the problem, so no it wont work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:50 AM
Apprentice

Since the temperatures have dropped in Western PA this past week, I have been using the ceramic heater while working on the dome.
The heat doesnt stay in the dome but it keeps my hands warm. It really did not affect the mortar other then helping it stiffen up a little. I did not leave the heater running too long as I was concerned about too much heat. With the heat exiting the top, I probably should not have been concerned.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Till you get the dome finished I wouldn't make and effort to cure. Finish the dome and give it a week or so and then start the heater.. I don't know your weather but out here in SoCal we have dry warm winds, ideal for the passive work light or ceramic heater curing. You must have these sorts of "high pressure" events.

Chris
Old 11-01-2011, 05:24 AM
Apprentice

I am only using the heater to keep my hands warm while working right now.
In Western PA there is no such thing as a warm wind, we have wet wind, cold wind, snowy wind, north, south, west, and east winds, (all damp or wet), and this fall has been especially wet and windy. I am not worried about the heater curing anything while I am working.

Like Forrest Gump says(I think he was talking about Western PA)

Forrest Gump: One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stinging rain... and big od' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofani View Post
Like Forrest Gump says(I think he was talking about Western PA)

Forrest Gump: One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stinging rain... and big od' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night.
LOL,

Stay warm!!

C
Old 11-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Journeyman

It seems to be easier here in Ca. but every were has it's benefits. Keep up the work. maybe keep a hot bowl of water next to you for your hands.

Mike