Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Buy the Harbor Freight extended warranty!!!

You will probably have to loosen the motor mounts. I am not familiar with HF junk, but that is the most common method.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:33 AM
Laborer

If its "too tight" to rotate the belt by hand - its probably "too tight" to use that way and may be the reason it popped out. There should be a bit of play in the belt - up and down at mid-span.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

if you can, take off the pulley, and clean up the shaft, It often gets scored from this happening.. just use a flat file,, You may also have to tap the new key in with a "SMALL" hammer, you can put a little lube on it too... Make sure you tighten the allen screws again... When putting the belt back on, wrap it around the larger end first, then around the smaller end while turning the larger pulley, often you can force it on this way without loosening the mounts,, If that doesnt work then you will have to loosen the mounts, Just make sure to re align them as straight as possible..

If you do have the extended warranty, call them and replace the unit,, let them do the work...you also get a brand new saw...

Cheers
Mark
Old 12-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
If its "too tight" to rotate the belt by hand - its probably "too tight" to use that way and may be the reason it popped out. There should be a bit of play in the belt - up and down at mid-span.
I can confidently say, having taken the housing off to look at the belt and pulley system, that the HF saw is not built the way you describe. It is extremely tight. Note that it wouldn't work very well any other way since it is a tension belt. The belt itself has teeth but the spindles do not...which seems odd to me...but ultimately there isn't any tooth-meshing, so the only way the belt can turn the spindle is by tension...so it needs to be tight as I understand it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 12-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Master Builder

The motor itself should be mounted on some sort of pivoted mount which allows adjustments for belt tension. I'm assuming this is the case with this unit.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Master Builder

Whoa, The teeth are there so that the belt can fit over a smaller diameter pulley. There is no engagement of teeth to a gear. As for tightening: by over-tightening one will simply wear out the bushing/bearing of the shaft much much sooner.... as well as the belt.

The belt transmits it's power by means of friction. Yes, tightening will increase the amount of friction (the friction is between the sides of the "V" of the belt and the pulley) but too much is not good. The usual rule of thumb is any belt should be able to be deflected by about 1/2 inch in the middle of the span between the pulleys without undo force.

Hope this makes some sense, I can elaborate further if you want. I work with tools that use belts (both "V' and large flat belts) in another hobby of mine but trust me over tightening of belts is not doing yourself any favor. If it came that way then it was assembled wrong, the guy making 20 cents an hour assembling couldn't really care.

Bests,
Wiley
Old 12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Apprentice

It looks like you got some good advice here. Any time you are working with belt driven equipment, the belt is tensioned by moving one of the pieces (i.e. the motor). The belt tension is important b/c you need enough tension to cut the material but not slip. you can get buy a belt tensiometer but as someone previously mentioned, you can just push the belt half way between the two sheaves (pulleys) and this will work just fine. Since the key came out, you need to check to make sure that the key way on the shaft did not get damaged. If the key way is marred and enlarged, a new key will have have a difficult time staying in the key way even with a set screw. Overall, it should be a simple fix. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, here's the summary of what happened. I had basically come to the conclusion that I broke (and vaporized to a greater or lesser degree) the key on the theory that the key is intentionally built from a weaker metal for the express purpose of failing first (like a fuse).

So I went to Home Dept. No keys. Went to Lowes. No keys. But Ace had them. I bought one for $.70 and put my saw back together. Works like a charm. :-)

Then, as I was cleaning up, I found the old key, complete and undamaged, on my basement floor. The allen screw that enters the spindle radially to hold the key in place had clearly loosened. What this means is that I did not necessarily over-use my saw. I didn't push it too hard such that the key failed on purpose to protect more expensive components (and people). Instead, it just worked its way out, clanked around loudly, and fell on the floor.

...so there you go, back to work now. I've got bricks to cut.

I'm sorry about the relative silliness that this thread now represents in retrospect. Maybe someone will benefit from it in the future.

Cheers!

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 12-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Soooo - all said and done, the HF saw is a great tool. It help me build my oven, and for the price, I don't think it can be beat. In time, I bet they will offer a compound saw for the same price.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Peasant

This thread prompted my curiosity so I went and checked my HF saw...

Set screw was loose and the key was already sticking out about half-way!

I was able to slide it back into place without much hassle and tightened the set screw. I have now been reminded to do a better safety check in the future.

Thank you.