Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Building in Central Florida, Question about insulation beneath cooking floor

Hi,

I can see the 3 pictures now but not in the previous posts. Looks very good.
I had to do the same thing when I was using the styrofoam, I used card- board to hold the bricks as well. Unfortuantely I could not do anything with the oven today, I was planning to build the front arch and the vent this weekend, but the weather was windy, and then started raining. Hopefully next weekend.
Cheers

Eddie
Old 12-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Building in Central Florida, Question about insulation beneath cooking floor

Well I got the dome closed this weekend. As the opening got smaller, the brick work got sloppier but I am sure the Heatstop50 will compensate for it, okay, fingers crossed a bit. It seems very solid.

As you can see, another issue with the styrofoam ribs is you cannot clean off the excess mortar as you go so there is some clean-up work to get done next weekend. Thank goodness for a skinny 18 year old son. He is already on task to climb in and clean it up.

To add some additional "grab" on the Duratch plate, I used some half inch "metal cloth" bolted around the four sides of the plate to grab into the mortar.
Attached Thumbnails
Building in Central Florida, Question about insulation beneath cooking floor-img_3917.jpg   Building in Central Florida, Question about insulation beneath cooking floor-img_3923.jpg   Building in Central Florida, Question about insulation beneath cooking floor-img_3924.jpg   Building in Central Florida, Question about insulation beneath cooking floor-img_3930.jpg  
Old 12-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Peasant

Not the prettiest entrance but will be enclosed anyway in a gable house design.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Laborer

WOW, You have done a lot, and it does looks good, you are just being mosdest. I did nothing this weekend.
I agree it did get sloppier as we close the dome. I also found that I had to go in and mortar the gaps from the inside.
Cheers

Eddie
Old 12-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"If your bricks are sliding and there is not a vane to catch it, "

I bought a package of cheap chopsticks and cut them up to bridge between the Styrofoam vanes at that point. They can be pressed into the styrofoam to maintain the exact shape. This also allows some access to the inside joint as you go for cleaning up the mortar.

I'm a great believer in he stryrofoam vane/formwork approach. Once set up, there is no guesswork - you know the dome shape is going to come out exactly as designed.

I can't see from your photos, but I also cut sizable 6-8 inch half circle "mouse holes" in the bottoms of the vanes to facilitate air circulation (and dropped tool retrieval).

Last edited by Neil2; 12-13-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Peasant

Neil,

True...I could have used a few more vanes. But I did not expect to hit that point until the vanes were close enough to bridge the bricks.

The chopstick idea is a good one. I agree the styrofoam overall is a proven technique but with some things to consider. I am pleased with their performance overall and think I still prefer them to the indispensible tool...at least for me. Particularly when I get impatient and want to get more done at a single sitting. The indispensible tool certainly has proven results of incredible quality. I am amazed at some of the projects on here and enjoy the dialogue.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice job! I like your angled vent and the way you put the anchor plate on. It will draw smoke well, you'll have no worries there. You're right, use the heat-stop and just point it in where you need it. So there's a little mortar over the edges, your brick work looks pretty sharp.
Keep up the good work,
-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Peasant

Dino...Thank you for your comments. I have to say it has been a very enjoyable project. A bit of an obession at this point but a rather good one I think.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks Great! Now the fun part begins! Cooking! I used a vanes approach and had almost the opposite problem that you had, not enough mortar on the inside joints. I had to go in an point the inside of the oven. I think if I ever build another, I will use the indespensible tool instead of the vanes, but that said, my oven is extremely functional if not as pretty inside as some of the newer ones! Enjoy (from a fomer Floridian...Go Gators!)

Drake

Old 12-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Peasant

Thanks Drake.

Tags
k-23, kiln, perlite