Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Building in Central Florida, Question about insulation beneath cooking floor

Nice work; how did you cut the rounded bricks?, that floor looks fantastic. I can easily see you are meticulas, and can predict it is going to be a very nice build. looking forward to the rest of your build.
Cheers.

Eddie
My Web site
Old 11-21-2010, 05:56 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Building in Central Florida, Question about insulation beneath cooking floor

Thank you...this is certainly getting to the nerve racking point as far as using brick goes. I have worked a lot with wood and some tile work but the brick is new so I am just trying to work slow and deliberately.

To make the floor I used my template and then shaped the bricks using both a Ryobi Wet Tile/Brick overhead saw and grinder.

Two weeks a go I happened upon the Ryobi tile/brick saw on sale from $199 to $99 at HD. It claimed to cut pavers so I grabbed it and per other customer reviews replaced the factory blade with a Husky. Not the fastest saw or smoothest gliding table, but for what I am doing it has been flawless. Cuts nice as long as you control the speed and it sure beats the rental price, particularly considering the patio is going in after the oven.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Peasant

Today's progress. I already realized an error....no reveal for the door to seal against. Nothing a grinder and some re-work will not fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Building in Central Florida, Question about insulation beneath cooking floor-first-couple-courses.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Laborer

You can still shift the vent area a little bit aoutwards; about an inch from each side to accomplish the reveal. The other alternative instead of the grinding you can choose to create the reveal in the door instead.
Good luck

Eddie,

My Web site
Old 11-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Peasant

Knocked out a few bricks and made room for the reveal in the opening. This is actually the second set of vent area walls. The first set I used three individual bricks in each course without any overlapping seems. I was not happy with thinking it might eventually give way. I tore it down and cut the reveal edge out of full brick and made sure the courses were staggered. Seems much better now.
Attached Thumbnails
Building in Central Florida, Question about insulation beneath cooking floor-oven-opening.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Apprentice

Hey, really nice work on your build. This will be over all too soon. I tore down quite a few layers on my build as well. You certainly will have sweat equity in your oven. Is that an ash dump at the back of the oven? does it extend thru the insulation and thru the block stand?

Tom
Old 11-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Peasant

Thanks Tom.

Yes it is an ash dump but also hopefully serve as a source of heat for indirect cooking.

I designed my oven to accomodate a second "firebox" in the back of the stand lined with firebrick safe for catching ash or lighting a fire. The opening for the ash dump is through the insulation and stand and into the firebox. Eventually the rear firebox will have a cast iron door with adjustable vent. I will also have an adjustable vent on the oven door. My thought is by controlling the draft I can control temperature for lower temp cooking much like the Big Green Egg.

The ash dump opening is formed with carved fire brick fabricated to lock in place. There is also a specially cut brick that fits in the opening if I want to close it off. I can remove brick through the back oven..a little crude but it works.

I know many folks have posted photos of meat cooked in the oven, but in most pics the meat looks beyond a nice char and outright burnt. So hopefully this design will make it a true low heat smoker as well as pizza oven. Probably not what the pizza oven purists like to see but this is what happens when a guy from the south raised on BBQ spends eight years in Europe enjoying bread and pizza. Is it a BBQ, is it a pizza oven? We will find out.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Laborer

I respect the need to engineer a better mouse trap. I suspect the BBQ enthusiasts will find your "contraption" weirder then the people here.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Peasant

Man...received my 8 inch Duratech parts today. Much larger than i expected.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You door is 23 inches wide !?

Between that and an inside-the-oven ash drop, I fear you are going to need a wack of wood to get it up to temperature for pizza.

Tags
k-23, kiln, perlite