Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   Brick and Block cutter (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/brick-block-cutter-7785.html)

KINGRIUS 09-04-2009 08:19 PM

Brick and Block cutter

I would really like a wet saw for my oven project but I just cant afford one right now. I have a skil saw w/mason diamond blade already, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a brick cutter such as this one: - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
It seems like it would be difficult to get accurate cuts with, but for that price I'm willing to learn how to use it with some success.

shuboyje 09-04-2009 08:49 PM

Re: Brick and Block cutter

I bought one when I was planning to make my oven out of half bricks figuring it would be a good fast easy way to chop them in half and then just use the factory side on the inside. For that purpose it would work well, but the cut it makes is VERY rough, nothing you could use for a finished surface no matter how much you plan to chip away at it. Since I ended up using 1/3 bricks for my oven, it went un-used.

KINGRIUS 09-05-2009 11:01 AM

This one from harbor freight says you can cut angles with it. I think I'll try it. I've got plenty of crapy used bricks to practice on. If I can't get any good with it I'll just have to use the skil saw.

shuboyje 09-05-2009 11:53 AM

I should have been more specific. I have that exact one from harbor freight.

KINGRIUS 09-05-2009 12:47 PM

I see. Well now we both do!

skemcis 09-05-2009 02:49 PM

Check out Lars posts. I believe all of his bricks were cut by hand.

KINGRIUS 09-05-2009 05:32 PM

Ok, I'll check them out now. So far that tool really sucks though. You weren't kidding about "rough". OUCH!:eek:

dmun 09-05-2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

So far that tool really sucks though.
Don't feel bad, using a brick set is a super-skill, like cutting glass. I've never been able to avoid making a mess of either one.

Think of all the stress you'll be saving your muscles and tendons.

KINGRIUS 09-05-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmun (Post 63725)
Think of all the stress you'll be saving your muscles and tendons.

I guess thats assuming I don't use the tool? Yes I already have enough aches and pains, I don't need another excuse for some more. I will probly stick with my handy skil saw. I've done a fair share of brick cutting already and it's still working. For now...

dmun 09-06-2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

I will probly stick with my handy skil saw
As in all dry masonry cutting, protect your lungs. That dust is not good for you.