Old 04-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Brick Arch entryway problem

Yes. I make the mixture about 7:1 which gives it some strength, but still some flexibility. You could replace the cement with lime if you're worried about it getting too hot and the portland cement deteriorating.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Master Builder

Thanks David, those are the magic words I've been waiting to hear. I have been contemplating extending the perlcrete over the od of the arch and adding another inch of perlcrete to the entire exterior of the dome.

When the oven is very hot and totally heat soaked, the exterior still is getting well over 120F maybe 150F. Will have to try and measure next time it is hot. This is unexpanded perlite and I am under 10 firings above 700F, so maybe it's still steam. If I do anything, I should do it all at one time and then do some re-curing....right?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

After applying the perlcrete or vermicrete, allow it to dry for a week, let the sun and wind do much of the work of eliminating moisture. The colour of mixture will lighten considerably as it dries. Then start firing again.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Master Builder

Great thanks david
Old 04-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Peasant

I might have another idea for you.

The cracking might not have much involvement with the metal ductwork - it might also be caused by thermal expansion causing the arch to push upwards.

My suggestion is to eliminate both concerns. If possible, allow about 1/4 inch clearance between the vertical portion of the metal and the surrounding 'hard' material (brick, mortar, castable, whatever). Then very lightly stuff some ceramic fiber into that gap.

In the refractory (firebrick) industry you would have just created an expansion gap, allowing the various materials to expand with heat and contract on cooling without interfering with each other. The lightly packed ceramic fiber offers a very good way to keep hot flue gases from escaping through the gap.