Old 06-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Best way to clean mortar off stone & Brick?

Try a wire brush on its own first. If it does not get it all off at least you wont need so much acid. If you do use acid, as well as goggles and gloves protect your clothes. Or wear something that you do not mind ending up full of holes. You will not notice the holes straicht away but the first time you wash your clothes!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never put off untill tomorrow what you can do today. If you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I wouldn't recommend the use of acid on the inside of a completed dome...your going to end up wearing as much of it as you get on the bricks.....acid burns to the hands are tolerable, the face, neck and torso are another story - you don't want to go there.
On the inside - scrape or brush all you can and don't worry about the rest....few people will ever see it. Other than myself, no one has ever stuck their head in my oven to look around...everyone seems content just watching from a safe distance when I'm firing or cooking and my door is always in place when not in use.

RT
Old 06-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Peasant

just fyi, you add acid to the water. not water to the acid.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:57 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwallgriller View Post
Just wondering the best way?

Thx.
B
Stone and brick.....

Are you talking about an oven dome or other masonry work?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Peasant

No oven, just the out side of my grilling area, installing rock to the sides and I am getting some mortar on the face a little. I'm trying to be more careful as I go.

Thx
B
Old 10-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Apprentice

I know this is an old thread, but in case somebody is searching for info.

Always add acid to the water when mixing. If you start putting water into a concentrated acid, the water can boil violently and spray acid all over you. "Put acid in the water and your doing what you otta".

Muriatic acid is readily available at pool stores since it is routinely used to lower the pH in swimming pools and spas.

Muriatic acid is indeed scary stuff at the concentrations you get at the pool stores. Don't breath it. It burns when you get even little drops on your skin. Always where eye protection when you are using it.

After you dilute it 1:10 or 1 :15, it is not so bad to work with, but it will still eat holes in your clothes if you splash on them. You probably won't see those holes till after you have washed those jeans a couple of times, but you will

Just wanted to add that stuff to this thread, even though it is probably here somewhere else already!

Travis