Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   Acrylic Render question (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/acrylic-render-question-6426.html)

THX1138 03-29-2009 03:38 AM

Acrylic Render question

Has anyone used prepackaged acrylic render as their final coat? I am tossing up using this instead of making up my own bagging or cement stucco mix.

I used this same material for my base, but am not sure of the heat rating although it wont get too hot as I have 3" of ceramic fibre blanket & 3" vermiculite

I was thinking the acrylic would give me a more flexible final layer

Regards,

Phil

dmun 03-29-2009 07:32 AM

Re: Acrylic Render question

Quote:

I have 3" of ceramic fibre blanket & 3" vermiculite
The outside of your oven shouldn't get much more than warm to the touch with that much insulation except right around your opening.

Les 03-29-2009 07:32 AM

Phil,

Thats the route I went - I used a product made by Dryvit. Survived one winter here with no problems.

Les...

Johnny the oven man 03-29-2009 03:19 PM

Final coat , with the acrylic render, with colour added should be fine.

chrisbouw 03-30-2009 03:27 AM

Thanks Johnny, others. I'm in Melbourne too, preparing for the final coat. I've seen Australian Builders (or something similar) brand acrylic render mix and colour. Do you know of it? I'm planning on a couple of coats to wrap things up. Does it need waterproofer too?

cheers. Chris.

THX1138 03-30-2009 05:37 AM

Many thanks,

I thought it would be ok with some tinted acrylic, I just checked the outer vermiculite layer as it is drying and it is setting fine after 1 day, I should be able to render it next weekend and finally start the curing process, low & slow

Regards,

Phil

Johnny the oven man 03-30-2009 04:03 PM

Phil, DONT render and then dry. Dry it out first. If you render, it becomes waterproof, therefore you cant push the moisture through the render. Fire it FIRST thoroughly several times until it is dry, use it a couple of times then render.

david s 03-30-2009 06:31 PM

Totally agree about firing before render. I use a 4:1:1 sand, cement, lime render first. Wrap for a week to keep it moist and make it stronger. Then start your cooking firings, do at least four good cooking firings before the final acrylic render. I find it best to apply by watering it down and paint it on in a number of layers- great finish. The stuff is waterproof, that's why you must make sure that the moisture is out of the oven before applying it otherwise you are locking the moisture in. A hand held to the outside of the oven should tell you if there's moisture in it. It will be hot to the touch if there's moisture there.

THX1138 03-31-2009 01:32 AM

Good point, I was wondering about that.

I know I would have done that with a brick job and was going to double check anyway with the castable so thanks for the heads up

I plan to light some low slow fires for a week or two and you say to ark up a couple of big ones also before rendering

Regards,

Phil

Johnny the oven man 03-31-2009 03:04 PM

Heat Beads are a good way to spread the heat evenly over the entire area of the base of the oven, and are a very manageable source.