Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Acid Wash

The problem as I see it, is not the safe and proper use of an acid solution on the exterior, it is the improper use (undiluted, no gloves, no glasses, short sleeves, used on the interior - basic common sense to anyone who has ever done masonry or worked with an acid solution).
I have been on this forum for nearly 4 yrs and have seen the acid question come up many times, and many of those involved cleaning the interior. No offense to anyone in particular, but there have been many, many basic/common sense questions that have been asked and they just could not understand or didn't want to understand the answers provided. We all can't be rocket scientists or the sharpest knife in the drawer. Not to mention those who merely skim over a thread and say "I got it" and proceed, throwing caution to the wind.
Another point besides safety is the degradation of the mortar and/or bricks if using too strong of a solution or leaving it on and saturated too long. I can speak first hand on this, my wonderfully helpful wife thought she would help during our pool build. Used straight from the jug muriatic acid (31.45% hydrochloric acid) to clean the just installed stone spillover wall from our spa to the pool. Literally ate into the mortar over 1/2" and caused severe spalling on many on the stones. Long story short, lost 3 days and needed another ton of stone to replace. She knew all of the safety precautions and had seen me clean brick and stone many times, she just didn't know or ask (and I never mentioned) that it needed dilution.
That little story is exactly why I won't recommend its use to the masses of this forum. There are a lot of well intentioned DIYers out there who don't know, don't ask, don't research enough, or are in too big a hurry.

RT
Old 12-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Acid Wash

Well stated RT.

Chemicals are neither good nor bad, its just the ignorant (this is not to be insulting) using them that cause the problems.

Personally, I think I would prefer acid in the eyes -the pain would eventually go away and my eyes heal (3% hcl is not that bad - had it once) rather than seeing Brickie in the tutu. That is mental anguish that will not go away without serious counseling and medications.

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by C5dad; 12-29-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Acid Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
I don't know which would be more painful, acid splashed in my eyes or actually seeing brickie in a leotard, tutu, and a upward riding cod piece

RT

I don't want to know.......