Old 12-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Acid Wash

"People, amateurs included, wash bricks everyday here without incident."

People, amateurs included, drive drunk everyday here without incident. It is not that it can't be done, it is the fact that when it goes sideways, it does so horribly. A significant part of my job is consulting on what to do when it goes bad with masons who have been doing the wrong thing for 20 years and getting away with it. Doing something wrong for 20 years does not make it right, it just means it is possible.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Potato, Patato.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Acid Wash

If this were an industry board, my response would be different, but it is not, it is a DIY board. Muriatic acid is dangerous to persons and materials and it is not something that should be considered for homeowner use.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I try not to differentiate between amateurs and professionals, Ive observed that the weekend warriors have usually done their homework and are not to be taken as nuff nuffs.

The professionals on the other had think they know it all and they have nothing to learn.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Journeyman

Ummm, there is a difference between amateurs and professionals, hence the different words used to describe them. While some things can go back and forth easily between the two, in this case, with vinegar so simple to access (usually already in the cupboard) and use, why would you risk the use of something stronger without real need? I'm with TS on this one.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Brickie, you are right about non-professionals doing excellent work, but this is a little different. Muriatic acid can maim or kill you, to say nothing of ruining the work you have already completed.

There are alternatives, and around here very few professionals clean their masonry with muriatic acid anymore, and no commercial work allows it.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Journeyman

If you know how to handle - which most learned in High School, acid is not a problem.

1 - Always pour acid into water
2 - use Gloves and Goggles
3 - use not more than a 10% solution
4 - If it gets on your skin, do not panic, wash with water for 5 to 10 minutes. Do not pour baking soda or other neutralizers on it. The pour on neutralizers have a special chemical which acts as a buffer to slow the reaction.
5 - after cleaning the bricks, rinse with water and then baking soda - gotta control the reaction.

Folks, there are a lot of people who use muriatic acid in their swimming pools all the time - and also mixing in chlorine which is way more dangerous. Just google acid safety training - there are many free online courses out there. Educate yourself - its really easy!

Respect the chemicals cuz they do not care!

p.s. as a chemical engineer and former safety manager at an acid plant, I think I am somewhat qualified

pss: I have seen many who use the stuff all the time out here in Arizona for prepping concrete, cleaning concrete, prepping metal prior to painting (though phosphoric acid is better for that.) and MANY other professional and non-professional uses.

Last edited by C5dad; 12-12-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: fat fingering
Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Muriatic acid can maim or kill you,.
From someone from a gun toting nation, that quote is really funny.....

Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

These bricks have been acid washed, check out the users address..

Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Um, that is a residence. I sell hundreds of gallons of muriatic a month to residential masons (as well as some proprietary cleaners), but none to commercial masons. They only use propretary cleaners (which are, in actuallity buffered acids).