Old 03-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Campania Pizza - Dallas and Southlake

Mark - not a problem at all...we can't improve unless we get feedback. With over 250 pizzas a day flying out of the ovens - there are going to be some sub-par ones...we're not quite 6 Sigma yet!! The pizzaioli are still learning - with the pace, they sometimes do not maintain the right oven temp. We have not switched over to full fior di latte on all pizzas yet - waiting for FDA approval on some shipping containers for our own mozzarella. It's probably not explicit on the menu - but you need to request fior di latte or you will get the shredded mozz...which does not hold up in the ovens (burns too quickly and crust does not get cooked enough).

Anyway, one of the real frustrating things for us pizza snobs is that, in general, the public likes - and expects - the shredded mozzarella. There are some on our team that are concerned about the switch to fior di latte and a lack of acceptance by your average American family. Very frustrating, but an economic fact - sell to the masses, not to the classes. I'm certain we'd win critical praise but worry that we may turn a lot of people off. That being said - we're pressing forward with a switch over to fior di latte!

Out of curiosity, let me know when you went in - we have switched the dough recipe to one that I am more comfortable with and also switched the tomatoes used for the sauce...constant tweaking!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjerrier View Post
Mark - not a problem at all...we can't improve unless we get feedback. With over 250 pizzas a day flying out of the ovens - there are going to be some sub-par ones...we're not quite 6 Sigma yet!! The pizzaioli are still learning - with the pace, they sometimes do not maintain the right oven temp. We have not switched over to full fior di latte on all pizzas yet - waiting for FDA approval on some shipping containers for our own mozzarella. It's probably not explicit on the menu - but you need to request fior di latte or you will get the shredded mozz...which does not hold up in the ovens (burns too quickly and crust does not get cooked enough).

Anyway, one of the real frustrating things for us pizza snobs is that, in general, the public likes - and expects - the shredded mozzarella. There are some on our team that are concerned about the switch to fior di latte and a lack of acceptance by your average American family. Very frustrating, but an economic fact - sell to the masses, not to the classes. I'm certain we'd win critical praise but worry that we may turn a lot of people off. That being said - we're pressing forward with a switch over to fior di latte!

Out of curiosity, let me know when you went in - we have switched the dough recipe to one that I am more comfortable with and also switched the tomatoes used for the sauce...constant tweaking!
We were there this past weekend, Thursday night and Saturday afternoon. I can understand the "masses vs classes" thing. You are right that the menu is not clear. The distinction between the regular pizza and the "gourmet Neapolitan" is very unclear. Couldn't you offer both, asking those willing to pay for "the good stuff" to pay a premium price?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Apprentice

Continuing my tradition of shameless plugs...the link below will take you to a new review of our Southlake restaurant - VERY stressful. We are still tinkering with things and are getting better. We'll soon be eliminating that nasty shredded dry mozzarella!

Guidelive.com

Jay
Old 05-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Apprentice

Default Margherita Video from Campania in Southlake

Hi All - the link below will take you to a video of me making a Margherita at our restaurant in Southlake. It is shot in real time - so making the pizza and cooking it, the total run time is under 3 minutes. I made it with iMovie and posted it to a Web Gallery...all those Mac vs. PC ads are sooooo true.

I'm still playing around with how to edit, so it will get better...but it is funny to hear the kitchen printer ticking away and seeing the camera tilt as the tripod slips.

You can also get to it at www.campaniapizza.com

.Mac Web Gallery

Jay
Old 02-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Campania Pizza - Dallas and Southlake

Jay

We are half way through the build of our pompeiii oven and will be stopping by real soon to eat your pizza and learn what we can....See you soon

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.