Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   What You Cooked Last Night (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/)
-   -   Wild boar (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/wild-boar-2951.html)

Inishta 11-15-2007 09:07 PM

Wild boar

1 Attachment(s)
This is a rib roast of wild boar. Done in a slow oven for 3 hours, marinated as necessary and eaten with oven roasted potatoes and redcurrant jelly sauce...................awesome!

DrakeRemoray 11-16-2007 03:27 PM

Re: Wild boar

Yum....Hard to get wild boar in the US!

Inishta 11-16-2007 08:28 PM

Hi Drake...........Turkey being a muslim country it is impossible to get domestic pork, except for some average bacon and sausage imported or the occasional red-cross parcel brought in from UK by friends. We do, however, have lots of wild boar on the mountains around us and almost no-one to eat it when they are shot. I get telephone calls on a regular basis to go and collect one. I was under the impression there are lots of 'hog' in Texas and surrounding states.

inishta

wlively 11-16-2007 09:32 PM

Yes, there are plenty of wild boar in Texas. More that can be killed. I don't know if it is that the breed is different or our tastes are different, but only young ones are considered edible here. Most of the wild hogs here are either Russian or Ferrel. They say an old one is down right rancid, which is a scary thought as I must say I didn't care for the younger one I ate.

Inishta 11-17-2007 12:24 AM

The boar here are Anatolian. They are generally only hunted for sport not food and big tusk boar are taken as specimens on licensed hunts. The roast in the picture was taken from a 65 kg female which I dressed and butchered. Most boar that is shot are not very accomodating as to where they die and are often too large to retrieve whole because of the distance from transport and the terrain. I have had boar legs brought that have come from 100kg animals and it seems that is the cut hunters think we want. The best parts, in my opinion, are left on the mountain. I will only participate in a hunt where the boar is taken for food.

james 11-17-2007 10:26 AM

Of course boar is a big thing in Tuscany, and also in Provence. We've had a number of encounters with wild boar while driving country roads late in the evening. Once a family of three jogged right past the car as we were just leaving a friend's home after dinner; and we could occasionally hear them snuffling around outside our house in Impruneta. Hunting is a big deal, and you jeeps and guys with guns during the season, and the occasional unlucky boar tied to the top of a jeep. I'm not a hunter, so that doesn't work for me.

Boar is also farmed in Tuscany -- and depending on the restaurant, they either will (or won't) tell you where your cinghiale is wild. Pappardelle Cinghiale is a big regional specialty.

Of course in the old days, the boar had a good shot at killing the hunter -- so it was a little more fair. :-)

James

n2iko 11-26-2007 02:50 PM

If my memory serves, taste of the wild meat is depandant on what the diet of the animal is/was. GIGO.

The one and only wild one I ate was on a diet of garden veggies and acorns from the woods. He got too frisky in the veggie garden was how it wound up on the BBQ. It was a meal to remember though.

Ageo308 11-27-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inishta (Post 19425)
This is a rib roast of wild boar. Done in a slow oven for 3 hours, marinated as necessary and eaten with oven roasted potatoes and redcurrant jelly sauce...................awesome!

Very nice indeed! i love cooking wild boar, i prefer the ones from the mountains as they eat the roots and other greens which make them nice and healthy.

Wild meat is always better than domestic as its leaner and sweeter.

pjk 11-29-2007 03:27 AM

Adrian,

The boar you describe almost sounds like an animal we have living in the hills of Australia. It's called the Wombat.

The Wombat - eats, roots, and leaves.

Oh' to be a wombat.

Cheers,
peter

Hendo 11-29-2007 07:08 PM

I heard something similar - eats, roots, shoots and leaves! I think it would be lost on our US friends though! I mean, they even root for their favourite sporting team! P.