Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 03:38 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Roast Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad English View Post
How did you do the Roast Chicken? Temps and times! It looks really good!
To be honest with you, I don't really remember. I'm thinking somewhere around 450F with small fire going. I think it was about 2 hours or when the meat began to separate from the bone. I'm usually not very specific or follow any set recipes in my cooking, I just like to create on the fly. no one recipe turns out the same, It always brand new experiment. New recipes I find, start only as my as guidelines. Experimenting and creating with my new WFO has been fun. I can't wait to finish construction so I can find more time to have for cooking.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Roast Chicken

That's still useful information! That's the fun part about cooking with fire rather than in a home oven set at a specific temperature where you can exactly measure temperature and time in a recipe. I ilke the "live theater" aspect of open flame cooking!

It's good to have a target range for a new recipe, but then you have to feel your way through it.

Thanks!

Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
To be honest with you, I don't really remember. I'm thinking somewhere around 450F with small fire going. I think it was about 2 hours or when the meat began to separate from the bone. I'm usually not very specific or follow any set recipes in my cooking, I just like to create on the fly. no one recipe turns out the same, It always brand new experiment. New recipes I find, start only as my as guidelines. Experimenting and creating with my new WFO has been fun. I can't wait to finish construction so I can find more time to have for cooking.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: What's Bartman Cooking

Great to hear that you both have enjoyed the cooking by sight & smell instead of being tied to temp & time mandates from recipes.

I still get a big kick out of when a neighbor brings in some dish to try in the oven and specifies, "I need to have 425F for 15 minutes and then drop to 375F for..." My response is normally, "The oven's running a bit hotter than that, but we'll make it work. Then we start actually watching and talking about the process, i.e. Looks like it's browning, so let's turn it and put it up on an inverted cookie sheet. IMO - a lot more fun & useful in understanding what really makes for excellent food out of the WFO.
)

Photo albums

Old 12-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Journeyman

Talking Re: What's Bartman Cooking

Quote:
That's still useful information! That's the fun part about cooking with fire rather than in a home oven set at a specific temperature where you can exactly measure temperature and time in a recipe. I ilke the "live theater" aspect of open flame cooking!

It's good to have a target range for a new recipe, but then you have to feel your way through it.

Thanks!

Brad
The more I think about, I believe I started with a cold oven and once I got the fire establish and little browning going on the bird. I cut way back on the fuel and targeted a average temp shot with my IR thermometer around the oven while the bricks slowly regulated the lowered temps. Still in the learning stages. I think, if the bricks were fully saturated and with small fire, the temps would be a lot hotter. I hope I'm not adding confusion to the fire......Then again It may have been fire out and oven holding about 450F.

Just have fun and post what you remember...... as they say, there are more way then one too cook a cat....oops I mean skin.............mmmm
I see new a experiment in the future..........just kidding for all you politically correct cat lovers........... Maybe the wife's dog............LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableSprings View Post
Great to hear that you both have enjoyed the cooking by sight & smell instead of being tied to temp & time mandates from recipes.

I still get a big kick out of when a neighbor brings in some dish to try in the oven and specifies, "I need to have 425F for 15 minutes and then drop to 375F for..." My response is normally, "The oven's running a bit hotter than that, but we'll make it work. Then we start actually watching and talking about the process, i.e. Looks like it's browning, so let's turn it and put it up on an inverted cookie sheet. IMO - a lot more fun & useful in understanding what really makes for excellent food out of the WFO.
Sable,
Inverted cooking sheet, good idea. I'm assuming that is to lower the heat on the bottom of casserole. Great input thanks for the ideas. Hope your not a cat lover......

KB

Old 12-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Apprentice

Yes, the upside down cookie sheet works great to keep bottoms from burning when your oven's a bit hot. Actually, I use an inverted commercial half-sheet or full sheet pan since they are heavier duty and don't warp (much) when moved into the hot oven. Note that if you put breads directly on the inverted sheet pans, you'll want to use parchment paper as the breads will tend to stick (I suspect because there are more scratches on the sheet "bottoms").

I also use the inverted sheets when someone brings over something to test bake (using their own dish) and says, "Oh, I'm sure it's oven proof...I can't imagine that it would break or crack in your WFO." ...and yes, that's from a previous "bad" experience...

(and no, I won't sic PETA on you for cat/dog jokes...)
)

Photo albums

Last edited by SableSprings; 12-16-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:44 AM
Journeyman

Happy New Year to all,

Today's menu:
Roast pork, sour kraut, potato dumplings, gravy, and a side of black eyes peas to keep the wife's southern roots happy, also for good luck .
Attached Thumbnails
What's Bartman Cooking-dscn2764.jpg   What's Bartman Cooking-dscn2765.jpg  

KB

Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Laborer

Post pictures of the finished extravaganza!

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Apprentice

okey bart,
aren't you happy you indulged in the WFO experience. i know i've never been happier.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Post pictures of the finished extravaganza!

Happy New Year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoer54 View Post
okey bart,
aren't you happy you indulged in the WFO experience. i know i've never been happier.
Here the picks, not much of a extravaganza. Yes happy I am, I'll be much happier when construction is complete
Attached Thumbnails
What's Bartman Cooking-dscn2767.jpg   What's Bartman Cooking-dscn2768.jpg   What's Bartman Cooking-dscn2769.jpg   What's Bartman Cooking-dscn2758.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 01-02-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:55 AM
Master Builder

Nice, very nice KB

My Build -