Old 02-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Venison In Panchetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
Do you mean the terracotta thing you soak in water then put the chicken in it?
Schlemmertoffs or whatever they call them?
I've been looking at them and the instructions all say to start them of in a cold oven.
Anyone used them one in a hot WFO?
G'day Mick
I've been trying to track one down in Aust. With no success to date.
Where did you come across them?
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Master Builder

Dave I reckon the only place I've seen them is online. They used to be all the rage in the 70s.
Sounds like the deal is to soak the brick, put the chook in, then put it in the oven when you light the ioven.
I imagine that there could be a bit of a smokey flavour imparted to the water in the brick, if it's in there when the fire is first lit. That'd be good, though it is unlikely to make it all the way to the chook.

I will try it if I find one.
I suppose it's doable with any terracotta pot with a lid as long it'll fit through the door.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Apprentice

Found this on ebay - Kitchen Craft Terracotta Chicken Roast Brick Kchmroast | eBay
Old 02-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I haven't tried the terracotta. But if, that breaks too , try cast iron or even the much cheaper "graniteware" .

Old 02-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I haven't tried the terracotta. But if, that breaks too , try cast iron or even the much cheaper "graniteware" .
I admit I have been wondering whether I could achieve the same effect by simply chucking the chook into a cast iron pot with a lid and some water in the bottom.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:50 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
I admit I have been wondering whether I could achieve the same effect by simply chucking the chook into a cast iron pot with a lid and some water in the bottom.
I reckon you would and if you used stock rather than water it would probably be a very good thing indeed!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 02-04-2014, 04:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Exclamation Re: Venison In Panchetta

G'day
Your a bunch of heathens, Chuck a chicken in a pot with with stock
What I'd like to cook is a Chinese beggars chicken. No brining to change the texture of the meat. No sticken a beer can up a chooks bum to make it sloppy. only the natural juices of the chicken

Venison In Panchetta-img_0821.jpg

Beggars chicken I cooked a few weeks ago. Fill cavity with mince pork, spring onion, garlic, fresh ginger and chinese five spice. Dry skin wipe down with soy sauce. Wrap in banana leaf ( or baking paper). Seal in clay envelope in my case the clay was a kilo of flour and a kilo of cooking salt.
Cook for two hours in mod heat.
Use hammer to break open clay.
I was hoping the chicken brick would make the process simpler, but I'm thinking of just getting some real clay to encase the chicken in. Can't wait to see the child brides reaction to me playing mud pies in her kitchen
Guys Google "Beggars Chicken" its a most special way to cook chicken that different to any chicken you have ever had.

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-04-2014, 04:29 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
G'day
Your a bunch of heathens, Chuck a chicken in a pot with with stock
Tread carefully chaps. It would appear the man is rather passionate about cookin' chooks.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:56 AM
Master Builder

Don't mess with a passionate chook cooker!! I have had ham baked in a dough of flour, water and sawdust and it was prime. Might not be a good idea to incorporate a combustible in a WFO recipe.

I might try yours Dave. Sounds good.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics