Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   What You Cooked Last Night (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/)
-   -   Thai chicken pizza recipe? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/thai-chicken-pizza-recipe-12424.html)

kebwi 03-31-2010 08:44 PM

Thai chicken pizza recipe?

I'm looking for a recommended thai chicken pizza recipe, the sauce namely. I assume I just toss some grill chicken and peanuts on it, but I need a sauce recipe.

Anyone ever done this? I'll scour the web of course, but thought I'd ask FB as well.

Mitchamus 03-31-2010 08:59 PM

Re: Thai chicken pizza recipe?

you could try red curry paste and coconut cream?

fry off the paste, add your coconut cream and reduce it till it's the right thickness...

I guess it depends what sort of 'Thai' flavour you're after....

kebwi 03-31-2010 10:03 PM

Thai Chicken pizza is traditionally a peanut-based sauce.

lwood 04-01-2010 06:17 AM

You want a pad thai like sauce? Saute the red curry paste, garlic, coconut cream, chopped peanuts and a little squeeze of lime. Add chili to add heat. That should get you pretty close.

kebwi 04-01-2010 11:46 AM

Hmmm, okay. Haven't seen cocunut cream come up in the thai chicken pizza recipes I've found online, but I asked, so I'll take it under advisement.

...is that a recipe you know works or were you just speculating on the fly?

lwood 04-01-2010 03:36 PM

It works on pad thai, don't know about pizza.

splatgirl 04-01-2010 04:07 PM

If you want a peanut sauce recipe, the best one I have ever found is here
Just thin to spreadable consistency with water if necessary. It's killer.
The other ingredients I typically use for that would be grilled chicken (basted with same sauce or teriyaki or anything else asian)
chopped scallion
sliced yellow onion
julienned or grated carrot
cilantro
julienned red bell pepper
bean sprouts (added post cooking)
mozzarella
red pepper flakes
chopped peanuts
lime wedges/juice
You can also garnish with shredded iceberg lettuce post-cook if you like
Ginger is another possible addition, fresh chopped or juice drizzled over

If you want a pad thai type of sauce:
Fish sauce (Nam Pla)
Tamarind concentrate
Palm sugar
Start with equal parts of each in a pan over low heat and then adjust until the sugar is dissolved and you have a balance of sweet/salty/sour that suits your palate. You'll end up with a fairly runny sauce so I would probably let it simmer for a while to reduce. Use in the same way as above. (I've never used this on thai pizza myself but it's a good idea!)

Either sauce could also be drizzled on top of the pizza vs. using as a base sauce.

splatgirl 04-01-2010 04:19 PM

I should add that the pad thai sauce formula came from a Thai native and is the only way that tastes authentic, or at least authentic as far as she and this Thai food enthusiast knows pad thai.

What you posted sounds delicious, lwood, but that is definitely NOT pad thai sauce.

kebwi 04-01-2010 08:53 PM

Thanks guys. Yum.

lwood 04-02-2010 04:14 PM

Your right Splatgirl I've been looking for an authentic pad thai sauce for a while now and this looks authentic. It is surprisingly simple, and these are basic ingredients here in the Philippines. Will try it, thanks