Old 01-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Sweet Pizza

Also the wife (wives?) of a Sultan. Upon aging they may take on the appearance of shrivelled dried fruit.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Sweet Pizza

Thank you Paul,
the raisin is quite different from the sultana in apperance, colour, texture and taste

Tom,
we have sultanas, (from the sultana grape), Currents from the current grape and raisins , again from the Raisin grape,. Just like different wines from specific grape varieties.
Rossco is right when he talks about the pips in the raisins, they are a sweet grape that is grown primarily for the dried fruit industry and have the pips whereas the sultanas don't have pips in them
See the pic 1 is the raisin, a darker and stronger flavour than the sultana (pic 2).
The raisins are almost getting to the prune (a dried plum) or the date (fruit from the date palm) in colour and sweetness.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Sweet Pizza-raisins.jpg   Sweet Pizza-sultanas-1.jpg  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Neill for the explanation. We have golden raisins that look like your sultanas, but I'm not sure what grape they are from, I always thought they were from the Thompson seedless grapes.
They are very tasty, but right now I'm drinking the liquid form.

Tom
Old 01-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine M. LeGrand View Post
I did the pizza dough with butter, cinammon and sugar rolled up and sliced--basically a cinnamon roll. I left out the raisins aka sultanas since here they have tons of bit of stem left--I gather the name for those nastys is "pips."--Janine
Hi Janine .... this is getting interesting!! Pips are seeds/pits to you perhaps ... but not stalks! I think I need to pay more attention to the differing interpretations in this forum to minimise confusion!

Oh yes, Africa is different place for sure. I spent 35 years there before moving to Australia 15 years ago. I do pop over about once a year so still maintain some contact with the place. I found the flour there quite different to what is available here in Oz. Better variety here, but I have not heard of the Atta brand you mentioned in either places.

On the flour availability point I am hoping that some time (in the not too distant future) Caputo flour will be readily available here at an affordable price. Currently I can ship it in from Sydney (4000 km away) at a ridulous price but I'm just not prepared to pay $160 per 25 kg bag. For now at least I will have to make do with other, very good, local flours.

Rossco