Old 10-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Serf

Default Re: Steak on the tuscan grill

A real Tuscan steak or Biftek Florintina is a 2 1/2 inch porterhouse cooked very rare and then topped with just a little evoo. We did one on the tuscan grill in the wood fired oven and it was the best steak we had ever tasted! It was a certified angus steak from the grocery store not one of the really expensive ones.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:47 AM
Master Builder

Your right Jay, I never order a steak in a restaurant any more.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My wife and I were recently in Chicago with friends and they wanted to go to Morton's original restaurant....so we went..... I got the bone in ribeye which was very good - a great piece of meat. But I could have cooked it as well or better. They all got smaller steaks and the lazy cook put them all on at once and took theirs off at the right time but let them sit longer than mine which meant theirs were barely warm - and mine was okay - somewhat warm - but just barely. The waitress was rude...dumped a full fourth of a bottle in one person's glass and then said, want another bottle. It will be much harder to get me to a "steakhouse" again. The tip was the lowest percentage I have given in years! (And we were only the third table seated and served so the lazy cook had NO excuses.

Just not worth it!
Old 10-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jay, don't me started on the level of wine pours in supposedly serious restaurants! I've never found a classy way to ask for "shallow pours" as they're filling the glass without getting the "I was going to pour it that way, anyway" look. Sometimes it happens so fast, end up pouring half our 2 glasses back in when the waiter leaves the table so we can swirl the wine a bit.

Too bad about that Mortons. I agree with everyone else, (on this thread), it's so easy to make an excellent steak at home, that it's really disappointing to pay big bucks for mediocre or poor.

Say, isn't one of the things that makes Biftek Fiorentina unique is that it is brought to solid room temperature (warmed up almost) before grilling? Thought I read that somewhere.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Dino!

Yeah...the Fioretina needs to be warmed to at least room temp. I have tried to do one (full 2 1/2 inches) on a Tuscan grill and it was pretty ridiculous. To have ANYTHING beyond raw in the center (and I mean "blue" in the jargon) the outside had to be charred severely on the coals below, oven over, grill. And it was warmed before cooking...

I am a medium rare to rare meat-lover but I don't know how people do it on a hot Tuscan grill. Perhaps they drop the temp a bit.

I find that I prefer cold 3/4 inch steaks or warm 1 inch steaks on the T Grill. The fierce heat cooks the outside perfectly in about 3 minutes total and a 5 to 10 minute hold brings the interior to a nice doneness.

With thick, proper steaks for Fiorentina you probably need an hour and a half to two hours warm-up time.

Jay

"Steak! The carnivore's WFO alternative!"
Old 10-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Master Builder

Ditto Dino, on the shallow pours. Nothing pisses me off more than some waiter pouring half a glass of an already overpriced bottle of wine. It's not the $$, it's the overselling that bothers me. And as you say Dino, one would like to savor each taste of wine in all of it's glory.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Serf

Cooking a 2 1/2 inch steak on the tuscan grill requires that the coals must not be directly under the steak. It is not unlike cooking indirectly on a Weber type grill. The anvantage of the ovenn is the radiated heat from the dome also cooks the steak. The goal is a slightly warm center but still rare steak. Carl
Old 10-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Apprentice

Here is my recipe for a Tuscan Steak:
1. Large T-bone or Porter-house 1 1/2" thick
2. Rub a broken clove of garlic over the bone and meat
3. Drizzle on some Olive Oil
4. Rub in some Italian seasoning
5. Let this set at room temp for about 1/2 hour.
6. Season good with Kosher Salt
7. Cook the steak over a WOOD FIRE. Rare is perfered.
8. Let the steak set for about 10-15 minutes
9. Remove the Strip and the Fellet from the Bone
10. Cut into 1/8-1/4" strips against the grain
11. Put on a platter and drizzle some GOOD Olive Oil and then squeeze some Lemon Juice over it.

Gentlemen, I can tell you that this taste like no other steak that you had. I also like to serve this with some Arugula and fresh tomato's.

Gary
Old 10-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The best steak I ever had was at the Pink House in Genoa (the first settlement in Nevada). It was a filet mignon, covered in some magical orange sauce. Unfortunately, the chef got busted for cocaine and the food was never the same. Now they are out of business. Second to that were the rib eye's I cooked on the grill. Stuffed with blue cheese and green onion.

Les...
Attached Thumbnails
Steak on the tuscan grill-steaks.jpg  

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Master Builder

Les, the "Pink House" in Nev. sounds more like a brothel to me. But that rib-eye steak sure looks awesome.

« Dinner | Halloween »