Old 12-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Slow-Roasted Yucatecan Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
Yes, I want one too!! Just like that!

I'm having one hell of a problem finding a large roasing pan. Swiss people don't do turkey, so they don't buy or sell roasting pans... the best I found so far is in Germany for around 300 USD - plus taxes and postage. I dunno, seems like a lot to me. How about an internet crash-course on welding?
I can send you one Frances.

I can get them locally for pretty cheap.

I'd be happy to help you.

I use this one and I've cooked numerous things in it.

Bed Bath & Beyond Product

It's pretty cheap and well made.
I am not sure how much it would cost to ship to you.

But let me know.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 12-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
How is that Caja thing built? Is it just plywood and sheetmetal? Is there a solid pan under the coals to keep the ash from falling on the meat?

Plywood lined with sheet metal (stainless?). There is a solid metal lid and then a grate (both with handles). The charcoal is lit an placed in the lid. After about an hour you add more charcoal, then another hour your take the lid and coals off, turn over the pig to skin side up. Then you put the lid back on and shake the tray to get the ash out (it just dumps out back on the lid) and add more coals....I think it is about 1/2 hour after that....

Take a look at this page for a blow by blow with good pictures:
https://www.lacajachina.com/Articles.asp?ID=156

Drake
Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Peasant

Cochinita Pibil or Puerco Pibil is one of my favorite Mexican dishes. Rick Bayless's recipe serves 35. For those who would like to make a smaller batch, here are some other recipes

In the movie "Once up a time in Mexico," it was Agent Sands favorite dish and he ordered it wherever it was on the menu. In fact it was so good at one place, he shot the cook "just to restore the balance" as he explained. The director, Robert Rodriguez, made this video to show how it is made (it was included on the dvd of the movie). He makes his own achiote paste for his recipe. Here is the link:
YouTube - 10 minute cooking school: Puerco Pibil

Another smaller recipe using commercial achiote paste is in the Rosa Mexicana cookbook Rosa's New Mexican Table as is a recipe for the pickled red onions. I have made this recipe several times in the retained heat of my WFO. We served the puerco like tacos in homemade tortillas using the recipe from Rodriguez's second 10 minute cooking school video "Sin City Tacos," topped with pickled red onions (these are great with the pork) and hot sauce, and sided with refried black beans, and Mexican style rice. Some folks put the black beans on the pork as well.

I actually found banana leaves in the produce section of the Cub store in Duluth, MN.
Ron

Last edited by rberg02; 12-11-2007 at 11:00 AM.