Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   What You Cooked Last Night (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/)
-   -   Secret Cooking Ingredients (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/secret-cooking-ingredients-3925.html)

SpringJim 04-29-2008 10:54 AM

Secret Cooking Ingredients

After years of making chili we had a local chili eating contest....a friend brought a dark chili that had cocoa powder in it. I've put some in my chili ever since. (it's a missing ingredient on the JBeans recipe too) chocolate is a very interesting flavor ....might mix well with the chili pepper ala Chocolat!

Anyone have some more secrets to share?

Ken524 04-29-2008 11:04 AM

Re: Secret Cooking Ingredients

Sounds like a Mexican Mole sauce. :)

DrakeRemoray 04-29-2008 02:19 PM

I like anchovies in lots of things...tomato sauces, soups, gives a salty richness.

I swear by chocolate chips in my banana bread (ok maybe not secret, but it sure improves the mix.

Must put a pork rib or two in my basic pasta sauce.

My Mom says celery seeds are the key to potato salad.

brokencookie 04-29-2008 04:51 PM

Cinnamon in the spagetti sauce. My wife thought I was nuts until she tasted it.

Bruce

james 04-29-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray (Post 31117)
I like anchovies in lots of things...tomato sauces, soups, gives a salty richness.

Definitely. I read in a cookbook somewhere that you can try to add enough anchovies just to where they enhance the taste, but no one knows they are there. :-)

Fish sauce. It's the same idea.

Do you play name those ingredients with the kids? Very fun. Make something pretty wild and see how many different things they can ID.

James

gjbingham 04-29-2008 05:22 PM

Try the tubes of anchovie paste available at your local grocer. It is goes absolutely unnoticed in the taste, but adds and undescribeable something. It is a standard in Italian cooking from what I've seen, read, and heard.

SpringJim 04-29-2008 10:28 PM

Yeah, we're back to the Roman Garum fish sauces and worscheshire with the anchovies....interesting

Cinnamon sounds interesting too.

An old chef told me to add sweet to my tomato sauces because they can be "sour" so I often add honey to spaghetti sauces.

Frances 04-30-2008 12:46 AM

Bit of a contradiction here, but I always add some balsamic vinegar to my bolognaise sauces - this was after I made a delicious sauce out of left over tomato salad...

gjbingham 04-30-2008 08:52 AM

Good idea - honey instead of sugar. I'll try that one!

asudavew 04-30-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpringJim (Post 31163)
An old chef told me to add sweet to my tomato sauces because they can be "sour" so I often add honey to spaghetti sauces.

I heard somewhere....
that a great addition to spaghetti sauce is grape jelly....

Ancient Italian secret?

It would seem to make some sense though.