Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Salmon in about 4 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
I don' like salmon...strange it's the only fish I don't care for. There is a way of doing fish on a soaked wooden plank. I will be trying that later in the season.

Oh... agree skin up on fish...unless your smoking...then skin down. But that's me!!!
Hi Faith,

What baking? Today for me, Anise/Toasted Almond Sourdough. I'm not partial to either skin up or down, since there a multitude of way to prepare it. We eat way more raw fish than cooked. Living in the number one fish eating nation in the world, you learn many ways to enjoy and appreciate the many varieties and their subtle differences.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Master Builder

Love fish raw and otherwise. Unfortunately I'm 5 hours from the coast so good sea food is hard to find in my town. We do have two women that sell fresh fish from the back of their pick up truck. Well the sign says fresh but that's not always the case.

Almond toasted sourdough....Yummm.

I'm not baking yet hopefully this weekend. Went to King Arthur for the rye class and caught the flu. Nasty thing taking me a month to get over. No baking in 30 days...that's just not right.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Master Builder

I love it, Personally i remove the skin when i do fish. It just tastes better for me. I wouldn't change a thing you did there.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:38 PM
Apprentice

Had to try them both ways. I didn't cook mine as hot (oven in the 650-700 range), and taste is always subjective, however, I found skin up to be a bit tastier. That said they were both excellent! High heat cooking with fish is the way to go. The skin on skin side up was tastier too, IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Salmon in about 4 minutes-img_1053.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 PM
Master Builder

Okn, That looks great... wish I liked salmon. I need to find some King Blue and play around with the oven.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:53 PM
Master Builder

Hi Okn,

Glad to know that there is someone open minded enough to at least experiment. We all know that taste is a value judgement, I'm glad that you value your taste enough to seek the best option for yourself. The crispy skin of salmon is tasty, but not one thats commonly eaten, its somewhat leathery.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Laborer

Sorry for the dupe, but I just posted a piece on salmon I did for a pizza at about the 8-900 degree mark. Came out great. I didn't time it, but because I kept moving it in and out to avoid burning it, I think it took a little longer than 4 minutes.

Skin down on this one. I go back and forth about which way to do my salmon on a grill etc.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/...tml#post162431 (Salmon)
Old 09-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Laborer

Yes I tried both up and down. Skin down is hands down better in my opinion. But, to give it justice, you need to be about 800+ in temp. You won't get the browning otherwise.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Hi Horro,

I didn't mean for this to become a p!&&!ng contest! Just another approach, at that temp and time, I was thinking of making it palatable. I never use or would see the need to use a probe to cook a filet of fish. The maillard reaction, that you threw out is a mis-statement! It apply to meat. "Fish is different. The fat in fish comes from oils distributed throughout their flesh; it isn't stored in pockets as it is in beef and pork. These oils have subtle flavors in and of themselves; and they contribute to the flavor of the fish".
Salmon in about 4 minutes-image.jpg
Gudday
Read you post today, probably a bit hungry at the time , but as the day progressed found time to goggle the "mailard effect" . I think it made me twice as hungry . I picked up a couple of pieces of salmon and BBQ them. No time to flash up the oven.
Bloody beautifull ... A simple salsa tomatoes onion salt pepper olive oil.
The child bride was impressed.... I'm definitely going to do this in the WFO
Thanks all
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Laborer

Dave,

All I can say is nice!

Here are some pics of a salmon I did:

I placed the lemons on top to finish and keep the top from burning too much.

The oven was at "pizza temps". I kept a close eye on the salmon keeping it moving around in there almost like a pizza so it didn't turn to ash! It really came out nicely!
horrocks007 likes this.

Last edited by Brad English; 12-15-2013 at 06:51 PM.