Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: roasting green coffee beans

Cuveelouise,

You're crazy! Blasphemy! You don't have an oven and you've never roasted coffee beans?

I have an oven, but have never roasted beans (I'm very interested in trying). Your idea makes perfect sense to me. As you said, our ovens are perfect at providing even, radiant heat.

Unless there is another reason why coffee beans need to be jostled around while roasting, I don't know why a flat screen held up by a few bricks around the edges wouldn't work.

Great idea and thank you for contributing. Now... do you think we can convince you to build an Italian brick oven in your backyard?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Serf

Well I have roasted beans in my WFO and I can tell you that they still need moved around if you are doing large batches 250g+. I used 2 colanders strapped together and if you didn't keep them moving some beans got burned before others had even started the process.

Coffee needs to be roasted at a higher temp than you might think, 200-230oC. I use a KKTO at home, and load the beans at 150oC with 600gm green on full heat, and the heat will take around 16 minutes to roast to 1st crack, then you need to coax the roast to 2nd crack without it happening too fast or too slow to develop the flavour in the roast. You then need to cool it quickly to stop the roast going too far. I've been roasting for a few years and I'm still learning!

I'm not sure if your oven would have enough residual heat to continue a 15+ minute roast to 2nd crack without any coals. Also if the roast it's uneven you'll have half burned beans, and have undercooked beans which will lead to some interesting flavours in the roast I can tell you!

With the colanders I had a few successful roasts, but it was a lot of work to keep moving. I'm not saying your idea woudn't work, but you would have a lot of factors to take into account. 1 your trays would have to be off the floor, and not too high, and able to be easily removed too cool. Your temperature will have to be monitored some how to make sure you were in the 230oC range and able to keep that temp for 20+ minutes while you roast.

If you've every roasted at home and his 3rd crack you'll know how much of a disaster than can be! lol. The WFO roast was unique though, and the smokey wood carried across to the coffee, and my batches were quite drinkable. I have the components to build a roaster that loads into the oven, but haven't got around to finalising the build.

If anyone is willing to give cuveelouise's idea a go it would be an interesting experiment though.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Apprentice

Thumbs up Re: roasting green coffee beans

Monsieur Frenchman Arrogant does make an excellent point that commercial coffee roasting procedures should not apply to roasting coffee in the WFO. In my humble opinion, roasting on flat sheets would work, however I do not believe that you will have good control over the roast itself.

1. I don't think your beans will roast evenly. Since the beans will be sitting near the oven floor, the heat radiating from the floor will be very intense, whereas the heat radiating from the dome will be much less intense. The result will be burned bottoms and unroasted tops. You would be better suspending your trays in the middle of the oven...somehow. Similarly, beans sitting near the walls will receive more radiant heat than those placed near the center of the oven. Those near the entranceway will receive much less radiant heat.

2. You will likely need to close the oven with an insulated door. Otherwise, cool air will circulate through the oven opening and across the oven floor. This will further cool the tops of the beans and cause them to roast unevenly. Closing the oven door will also make it difficult to monitor the progress of your roast. Monitoring the progress of the roast is all about sight, sound, and smell...(and time and temp).

I have spent the past couple of years roasting coffee in my WFO and I can tell you based on my experience that knowing the temperature of your beans is much more important than knowing your oven temperature. I have a thermocouple integrated into my roasting basket which monitors the bean temperature rather than just the oven temp. Once I started using this thermocouple, my roasts come out perfect every time! Once you hone your coffee roasting skills, you can never go back to drinking commercial coffee again.

Give the tray idea a try and see how it comes out.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuveelouise View Post
Commercial roasters have to agitate them or blow hot air as they have uneven heat and need to move the beans, otherwise they would burn. All their complicated procedures are just trying to get that even heat and temperature control that your oven already has and putting the coffee beans inside a metal rotisserie inside the oven is actually taking a step backwards-the metal rotisserie re-creates uneven heat and so you have to turn it to try to even the heat back out - the only problem it solves is one it creates!
I've been home roasting for 5+ years. On my third gen roaster. AFAIK, Commercial roasters are built for even heat distribution. They are purpose-built devices with one goal: roasting coffee. Turning the beans ensures that all sides are roasted evenly.

IMHO it's folly to suggest that a WFO somehow provides more even heat than a coffee roaster. WFO heat is difficult to manage in small precise increments, and not terribly even. You can't cook a pizza in a WFO without turning it. I'm not sure what it would do to a coffee bean.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Apprentice

I have learned to use the "uneven heating" of my WFO to my advantage when roasting coffee. Again, I can monitor the temperature of the beans themselves rather than just the oven (thermocouple is buried in the batch of beans). When I want the beans to roast faster, I move the upper reaches of the dome where it is hot....I can cool them off mid-roast if I feel that they are roasting too fast by moving them into the entranceway....or, even take them out of the oven completely for a few moments. My beans turn out evenly roasted every time.

All this coffee-roasting talk is making me want to roast some more....(I just did 6 pounds on Saturday). I crave that smell !!!