Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Pork Shoulder pulled prk

I tried the brine and dry rub recipe on a 7 pound pork butt. Temperature seemed too high but I did not have time to allow further cooling and needed to to get cooking. Started cooking at 8:00 am. Returned home at 4:00 pm and the aroma in the yard was amazing. Pulled the roast out at 5:30 and the meat was falling off the bone. The best ever! Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteVB View Post
I tried the brine and dry rub recipe on a 7 pound pork butt. Temperature seemed too high but I did not have time to allow further cooling and needed to to get cooking. Started cooking at 8:00 am. Returned home at 4:00 pm and the aroma in the yard was amazing. Pulled the roast out at 5:30 and the meat was falling off the bone. The best ever! Thanks!
I'm glad it worked for you! We keep going back to this recipe on a regular basis! You have to try the rolls with it! They are worth it for sure!

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Apprentice

This looks great - I'm definitely gonna give it a go this weekend.

Regarding the homemade buns - what temperature do they need to be baked at and for how long (the recipe didn't say)? Do people generally do it in their WFO? Sounds like the temperature would be too low when the roast it finished? Are they done before the roast goes in?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by di11on View Post
This looks great - I'm definitely gonna give it a go this weekend.

Regarding the homemade buns - what temperature do they need to be baked at and for how long (the recipe didn't say)? Do people generally do it in their WFO? Sounds like the temperature would be too low when the roast it finished? Are they done before the roast goes in?

Thanks in advance
I do bake the buns in the conventional oven, I used to bake the buns the day before doing the pork, but (no pun intended) the rolls are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good when baked that day that I go for the regular oven being on for 25 minutes at 375.

Beautiful Burger Buns: King Arthur Flour

5) Bake the buns in a preheated 375F oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden. Remove them from the oven, and brush with the remaining melted butter. This will give the buns a satiny, buttery crust.

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 09-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I do bake the buns in the conventional oven, I used to bake the buns the day before doing the pork, but (no pun intended) the rolls are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good when baked that day that I go for the regular oven being on for 25 minutes at 375.

Beautiful Burger Buns: King Arthur Flour

5) Bake the buns in a preheated 375F oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden. Remove them from the oven, and brush with the remaining melted butter. This will give the buns a satiny, buttery crust.
Thanks so much for this - I completely missed the directions panel on the right hand side!!!

Thanks again,

Jody

Old 09-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Laborer

has anyone tried doing a partial fire of their oven and then keeping a small fire going to maintain a 200 deg temp for smoking? I m thinking of just tossing another log on every 1-2hrs during the day to smoke a few butts rather than doing a full firing and then waiting 12hrs for it to cool down enough....
Old 09-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I tried this in my smoker and while the pork was properly cooked, there was a strong, undesirable, unburned-wood, creosote taste to it. You will notice that the professional pit-masters run separate fireboxes that although they insert unburned logs, the scale of their fire (and smoke chambers) accommodate a fully ignited burn.

The closest I have gotten to this with my WFO is to (1) let the oven cool down to about 260-280F. (2) Insert pork shoulder(s) and a charcoal basket with a small pile (that looks like a 4x4x12" log) of oak lump charcoal. I light the charcoal on one end and it slowly burns to the other end. With the door slightly ajar, I only need to replenish the charcoal once every three hours or so.

I have done dozens of burns in my offset smoker, and to save fuel, would routinely wrap my shoulders once they reached 170F and place in the house oven (230F) until the internal temp reached the magic 190F. With the WFO, once the meat reaches 170F it has absorbed all the smoke flavor its going to, and I just close the door. No need to wrap. Just make sure your shoulder sits over a rack in a pan with water (or favorite juices) in it. Otherwise the sugar/spices in the rub drip into the fat and carbonize on the bottom of the pan. I learned this the hard way and it was no fun to clean.
Gulf likes this.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Laborer

thanks! Yes, I did a little more searching/reading and saw that a live fire is likely to cause taste issues. I think I will try a short 20-30 min firing of my oven, let it die down/equalize for 45-60mins and then supplement/maintain 200 degrees with the coals, hardwood charcoal (and some smoking woods on the charcoal).

My scenario is complicated by several factors - I do not yet have an insulated door so my oven cools too rapidly over night w/just a single pane steel door and I really want to fire and cook same day so that I can keep an eye on temps, smoking wood, etc.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I think I will try a short 20-30 min firing of my oven, let it die down/equalize for 45-60mins
Let us know how this heating approach works out, please. I've only done it one way: wait until two days after a pizza party when the oven has dropped below 300F. I too only have a one-piece steel door (with no handle even), but with a heat break, the stays pretty hot for a long while.

I'd rather schedule a (pulled pork) burn on its own rather than on the heels of pizza each time...
Old 09-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Let us know how this heating approach works out, please. I've only done it one way: wait until two days after a pizza party when the oven has dropped below 300F. I too only have a one-piece steel door (with no handle even), but with a heat break, the stays pretty hot for a long while.

I'd rather schedule a (pulled pork) burn on its own rather than on the heels of pizza each time...
well so far so good. I fired my oven this AM for about 35 mins with a very small fire. closed it up for 20 mins to extinguish and equalize. dome was 350+, floor was 175-200+. pulled the 2 pcs of partially burnt oak wood out, tossed in some natural lump charcoal and a few pcs of cherry and apple wood and the butts went in. 3 hrs in and no problem holding 250-300 in the oven just tossing in a few more lumps every hour or so.....
Attached Thumbnails
Pork Shoulder pulled prk-butt2.jpg  

Last edited by sclancy; 09-19-2014 at 02:03 PM.