Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 03:03 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Pork Shoulder pulled prk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Well it's confirmed. I didn't know what I thought I might know This changes my whole approach of smoking the pork. I'm impressed that you could cook at that high heat for that long of a time.

It looks fantastic, Thanks!
Hi Les, The starting temp was 260 degrees F and finished around 220 degrees F without fire or smoke, just residual heat. I think the important number was getting to over the 190 degree F mark for meat temp. I am a total amateur with this and have to thank all the info I gathered from around the net to guide me.
It was good tho!!!!
Thanks John

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Laborer

Nice job John. Next time, if you want some smoke, let the oven die to about 250 and then throw in a few hot coals with a handful of wood chips. The chips will smolder and smoke the pork. I did it the last time I made a porchetta, and it worked pretty well.

Stan
Old 07-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Laborer

Sounds fantastic.
But what blew me away is the decay time of your oven. Did I get that right? Your oven only dropped 38 degrees in 15 hours.

I can't touch that.

Phil
Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Hi Les, The starting temp was 260 degrees F and finished around 220 degrees F without fire or smoke, just residual heat. I think the important number was getting to over the 190 degree F mark for meat temp. I am a total amateur with this and have to thank all the info I gathered from around the net to guide me.
It was good tho!!!!
Thanks John
John,

I cooked a 5 lb shoulder in my water smoker. I looked into the temps and the USDA recommends pork to be cooked at 145 (down from 160). It was in there for about 3.5 hours when I took it out and the temp was 150. The meat was excellent but it didn't "pull" very well, just the out side. Next time I will let it cook even more to see if that does the trick. I am just paranoid of having it too dry. I had a pulled pork sandwich a couple of weeks ago at a competition - it was so dry that it took many beers to get it down.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Les,

I hear ya on the multiple-beer choke-down trick. Two weeks ago I found myself choking down a bone-dry brisket sandwich at "Famous Dave's" in Kansas City. This was my first taste of KC BBQ and have concluded I still prefer Santa Maria-style BBQ.

Regarding pulled pork, a shoulder's internal temp needs to be held at 190F before it can start breaking down collagen (connective tissue). For a 10lb shoulder completing this 'plateau rest' takes about 2.5 hrs. (between 8-9 hrs total). Many competition cooks feel that 228F is the magic temp, but I've found anywhere from 210-240F works fine. (I think the 145F you're referring to is the 'new' safe finishing temp for pork in general). I typically wrap my shoulders in foil once they reach 190F and at that point, since they aren't going to absorb any more smoke, let them finish at 228F in the house oven.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
I typically wrap my shoulders in foil once they reach 190F and at that point, since they aren't going to absorb any more smoke, let them finish at 228F in the house oven.
Wrapping it in foil makes perfect sense (and it will give me some level of piece of mind). Thanks for the input!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Nice job John. Next time, if you want some smoke, let the oven die to about 250 and then throw in a few hot coals with a handful of wood chips. The chips will smolder and smoke the pork. I did it the last time I made a porchetta, and it worked pretty well.

Stan
Thanks Stan, Excellent suggestion! I will try that next time, might be this weekend or next

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 07-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoPhil View Post
Sounds fantastic.
But what blew me away is the decay time of your oven. Did I get that right? Your oven only dropped 38 degrees in 15 hours.

I can't touch that.

Phil
At higher temps the oven drops about 8 degrees per hour, once down under 300 degrees F then it is a slow drop. Also, outside temps were near 90 during the day and low was 74 that night.

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
John,

I cooked a 5 lb shoulder in my water smoker. I looked into the temps and the USDA recommends pork to be cooked at 145 (down from 160). It was in there for about 3.5 hours when I took it out and the temp was 150. The meat was excellent but it didn't "pull" very well, just the out side. Next time I will let it cook even more to see if that does the trick. I am just paranoid of having it too dry. I had a pulled pork sandwich a couple of weeks ago at a competition - it was so dry that it took many beers to get it down.
Hi Les,
From everything I read, 190 degrees F internal meat temp is the ticket for the meat to break down. If you follow this recipe with the brine first and then cooking it till it is 190 you will be very happy. They said to either tent it or add liquid if the tray gets dry through the cooking process. I didn't have to do either.

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks John - I will try that temp the next time. I am sticking with the water smoker until it's dialed in, it's incredibly consistent.