Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Pizza - Sunday.

Aah, vegemite. It is like Southwark beer. If you were raised on it, you love it. Otherwise the usual reaction is "How on earth can you eat/drink this crap?"
Remind me to post my recipe for vegemite soup.

Now as for Bundaberg rum, in South Oz we call it Queensland diesel. Also known as "fightin' gear". The fuel of choice for pub brawlers everywhere.
Nothing like a square bottle of polar bear piss to get the adrenalin pumping.
In the interests of peace and harmony, I don't drink it anymore.
Greenman likes this.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I can get vegemite at world market...I might give it a try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 01-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

brave soul, definitely an acquired taste.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I can get vegemite at world market...I might give it a try.
I admire your courage. However, I am willing to bet you won't like it.
I often ponder these things - given that most adults who taste it for the first time sorta spit it out and say "What the heck is that?" how did anyone ever eat it long enough to acquire a taste for it?

Sorta like olives - an un-brined olive is usually bitter. Who persevered long enough to find out that if you soak it in salt water long enough the bitterness goes away and its quite tasty?

Funnily enough the company that makes vegemite is American owned.

Eat it like this:
toasted white bread, lightly buttered, then a thin smear of vegemite on top.

Then give the rest of the jar to an Aussie neighbour who may or may not thank you.

BTW, what is Fugas and piccallili?

Last edited by wotavidone; 01-23-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maybe, maybe not. I've heard comparisons to beef bullion..which I do like.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 01-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Master Builder

Hmm. Beef Bullion. Yeah I reckon it could claim a slight similarity. I hope you do like it, vegemite on toast is a nice thing on a cold winter morn.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Apprentice

To those wishing to try vegemite, when you first start, very thin is best. It is not like peanut paste(butter). To acquire the taste basically pass the knife above the toast and say :"vegemite, vegemite, vegemite", that would probably give you enough on the toast

I use it when I make gravy. A teaspoon gives a great colour and flavour.

Vegemite and Cheese sandwiches - Yum
Vegemite and Cos lettuce sandwich-Yum

Cheers

Craig

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
The Pirate Captain

Last edited by BOOMERS WFO; 01-23-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Vegemite has a lot of other uses.
Black toilet sets favored by government bodies are best. A quick smear of vegemite around the inner edge will leave a black greasy ring on the body of the next user. It is not possible to remove Vegemite from the skin with spit and toilet paper alone.
Vegemite was included in army ration packs during WWII. It can in a small tin like a miniature sardine tin. The remaining rations were issued to school cadets during the 60s and 70s. It was always a good lark to throw a can in the fire when someone stood with thier back to the fire. It was also handy to be able to recognize the more senior officers from a distance by the black stains on thier clothing.
On an Australian warship the junior officers work towards getting thier " bridge ticket" that enabled them to take over the control of the warship without the watchfully eye of a more senior officer. On their first watch by themselves there would usually be some wag who would smear Vegemite on the black eyepiece of the officer of the watches binoculars. After one use the young officer would have a fairly distinctive "panda eye" and would spend the rest of the watch trying to figure out why no one would look him in the eye! And what was all the laughing about.
Foreign visitors are usually horrified to find out of the two most deadly spiders 6 of the most venomous live in Australian. And of the world top 6 most deadly snakes its really only the fourth most deadly the common brown that really kills the most people anyway. You explain to them that Australian have a natural protection in the form of large doses of vitamin B consumed over a lifetime of eating Vegemite. Of course that want to try some , some can eat it most can't.
It's easy you explain to them you can get the same benifit by smearing Vegemite on your skin. Makes it easy to find any lost visitors in the bush , the smell of Vegemite travels a long way!
Regards dave
Greenman likes this.

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 01-24-2014 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-24-2014, 04:31 AM
Master Builder

Dave - I have read 1000 posts on FB and I reckon you deserve the prize. Most of us in Aus have grown up with this refined residue from the bottom of the brewery tanks. I have been eating this stuff for 60 years and you have informed me.

Bravo!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 01-24-2014, 04:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Unhappy Re: Pizza - Sunday.

Gudday Steve
I'm sorry to have break this to you ..... And the forum....I have hidden this away for years....... But I'll come clean and truthful .... I really don't eat Vegemite
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door