Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 04:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oak Smoked Pulled Pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Next time try Peach wood, its amazing.
A Peach tree in Minnesota....Now that would be Amazing...

I think the lower initial heat give a better smoke penetration and the final cook makes them nice an tender. I do lay them fat side up for the smoke, standing is for the final cook.

Last edited by mrchipster; 06-21-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 AM
Laborer

Quote:
That looks awesome, what i would do differently is put the shoulder fat side up, and filled the pan with some apple juice. That way the fat cap is on top and doesnt dry up, the fat drip slowly down the side and into the pan. Either way it looks great. Next time try Peach wood, its amazing.
I have tried it both ways and I have found that while it sounds good to put the fat cap on top, if you try to put any kind of rub on the meat, it will be on the bottom and the the pool of fat will wash it off. I like to put the fat cap on the bottom which forms kind of moisture barrier cup for the juices in the pork and the spices (even if just salt and pepper, stay on the meat - you wind up with more burnt ends. But who does not just love burnt ends? I like the idea of apple juice in the bottom however, that sounds like another experiment.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 AM
Master Builder

I see what you mean. I never had issues with the rub washig off.

Check this out, i did this before i had my oven. 12 HR Smoked Pork Butt. (Pron Galore) -.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
A Peach tree in Minnesota....Now that would be Amazing...

I think the lower initial heat give a better smoke penetration and the final cook makes them nice an tender. I do lay them fat side up for the smoke, standing is for the final cook.
How about mulberry? The fruit bearing mulberry is similar to peach.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
How about mulberry? The fruit bearing mulberry is similar to peach.
Thanks, V. I will look for some, my brother inlaw tells me that he had a peach tree for a few years, it finally died in a harsh winter but they will grow here.(who knew).
Old 07-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
SuperBowl's are way to far apart to wait for these, I am thinking more like month end specials or something like that.
Could not wait for the Super Bowl, made another batch tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Oak Smoked Pulled Pork-image.jpg  
Gulf likes this.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Peasant

I loved pulled pork.......when you put the oak in, did you soak it for a bit so that it would smoulder(smoke) or just put them in dry?. They sure looked yummy. my oven gets shipped today(yippy) sure can't wait to give this a try......cheers
Old 07-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinmc View Post
I loved pulled pork.......when you put the oak in, did you soak it for a bit so that it would smoulder(smoke) or just put them in dry?. They sure looked yummy. my oven gets shipped today(yippy) sure can't wait to give this a try......cheers
I used straight oak, no soaking. Just use one piece at a time and it will produce plenty of smoke.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinmc View Post
Actually, oak charcoal left over from previous fires then about 3 or so 1 inch diameter by 10 inch long semi dry apple sticks placed on the oak embers. Once the apple gets fully dry I will probably soak them a little but for now closing the door is enough to keep them from flaming up. I pull my door about every 30 minutes or so to check on the smoke. This may be adding the needed oxygen to keep the coals going but when I have pizza night I close the door and the next day I still have live coals so I think just enough air gets in to keep the embers going. Smoke is very dense in the oven and the walls of the dome get black from the smoke

BTW always put any ash you remove from the oven in an air tight metal bin as I believe they can stay hot for days inside the oven. Be Safe...
Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Peasant

hey thanks for the feed back......can not wait to give this a try(as my family also) lol, figure this will also work well with a brisket(low and slow). Apple and oak is a little scarce to find in my parts(Alberta,Canada) but sure a can find a twig or two..cheers