Mac and Cheese
We had a ton of people over this weekend...I made about 20 pizzas on Saturday for my daughter's egg hunt. The oven was the center of attention..."Best pizza in Texas" was heard many times!
On Sunday evening we had another feast (the oven was still warm). I really jammed the oven...
- big plate of baby carrots tossed with olive oil, kosher salt, cracked pepper
- A big old boneless chuck roast (the butcher split it horizontally so it made 2 gigantic 1.5 in thick "steaks"). This meat was CHEAP - like 3.99 a pound! I was looking for flat iron steak and they didn't have it, so this was close the guy said. One was seasoned in olive oil, kosher salt, and cracked pepper. The other I did with olive oil and Roasted Garlic Peppercorn Char-Crust (pre mix box).
- Cast iron skillet mac & cheese
- Grilled asparagus
- Boring chicken breasts
- pain a l'ancienne made after the pizza party
- i also made an appetizer of focaccia spread with spinach/bacon dip and covered with mozz cheeze, thrown in the oven until bubbly. Had to use Central Market pizza crust as I was completely out of dough!
I had the carrots and mac and cheese in the back of the oven, and had the brontosaurus steaks at the front of the oven on the tuscan grill.
The Mac and Cheese was the best I've made yet...I happened to come in and catch Barbecue U on PBS and saw them making it:
- melt stick of butter in sauce pan
- add 2 cups of light cream or half and half
- bring to a boil, add salt and pepper
- add flour to thicken it up...kind of a bechamel sauce
- pour mixture over 1 box cooked elbow macaroni
- stir in your favorite shredded cheese (I used extra sharp cheddar and gruyere)
- put the whole pile into a buttered oven proof dish...I used my grandmother's 85 year old cast iron skillet
- bake in the oven until cheese melts and is bubbly/brown on top
You can also add grilled peppers, onions, corn, etc. - I just didn't have all that stuff handy.
Just the little addition of the Tuscan Grill has us using our oven A LOT more...so if you looking for cost justification reasons....
Posted some pictures of the Easter Feast on www.texaspizzaoven.com
Re: Mac and Cheese
Just viewed the link you showed above. That is so cool. Love the enjoyment you got from it. Fresh Mozzerella, mmmm.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:23 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC