Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Kleftico

Hey DJ maybe something in your equator commentThis side of the equator the water in sinks travels clockwise. Apparently on your side of the equator it goes the other way.

Maybe its the water and the lid creates a steaming environment. But I do agree very hot and very long cooking time and small pieces of meat to boot. It should be black.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Guys I found the recipe THX refers and he is spot on. Here is the link and its cooked in a wfo

Slow-cooked oven-baked lamb recipe (kleftiko) : Food Safari : SBS Food) think this is the same as DJ link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-07-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Peasant

Thats the one..

It is gold!!

Phil
Old 09-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Phil

I thought it was lamb

But if cooking it like that turns it to gold then i'm off to the butchers. See Ya...........

Old 09-11-2013, 05:45 AM
Peasant

Thumbs up Re: Kleftico

Mmmmmmmmmmmm more meat...
Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No I was thinking about the gold.
Where in Melbourne are you

Old 04-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Kleftico

G'day
Having thought about this much to long now I decided like the song said to
" Take a walk on the dark side " and give this a go. Armed with a stack of conflicting recipes and some very ordinary U-tube videos, I flashed the oven up.
A hour and a bit burn not saturated but hot 440C on the hearth

Kleftico-img_0848-640x480-2-.jpg

Maxed out my door thermometer had to withdraw it from the door
Into a baking dish Lamb forequarter chops ( Lamb shoulder) onion, potato, whole garlic cloves, fresh rosemary, sage, thyme, and oregano and 250ml of veg stock. Entombed the baking dish in a generous layer(s) of cooking foil. and into the oven

Kleftico-img_0846-640x480-.jpg

4 hours later the temp had dropped

Kleftico-img_0849-640x480-.jpg

Not by as much as I had thought it would......would it be Chinese takeaway? I was thinking about those uninsulated Greek ovens !

Kleftico-img_0852-640x480-.jpg

Absolutely bloody beautiful!!!! the meat was like butter and the flavour..... the dish was full of juice and I made a gravy on this. With temp still as high as it was a bread wasn't going to work so I flattened the dough out into a baking dish and with the door off made a simple focaccia

Kleftico-img_0850-640x480-.jpg

All in all it was damn good, the main think that surprised me that with extended cooking you lose a lot of the flavour of your herbs and spices. It was certainly not the case the flavours were still strong. Anyway Daves not produce a bad dish from the oven yet and my score remains intact.

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-13-2014, 05:19 AM
Master Builder

Nice work Dave. You would have to be happy with that. I had a saliva rush just looking at the pics!!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dave

Glad to see you have finally tried this amazing dish.
I have done this now with shanks, Forequarter lamb chunks, steak, ribs etc various takes on the same theme. Nicest was the smoked paprika version more Moroccan style. all dishes cooked this way are amazing and it makes sense to use all that heat produced on a pizza cook up this way.

It works every bloody time who'd have thought cooking at such high temp and for that long would not produce other than burnt mess.

Secrete is in keeping the moisture in I am now looking for a baking dish that will seal better.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-19-2014 at 11:54 PM.