Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   What You Cooked Last Night (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/)
-   -   How to cook the Thanksgiving turkey (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/how-cook-thanksgiving-turkey-14733.html)

josephl 11-08-2010 01:13 PM

How to cook the Thanksgiving turkey

I would like to know the best way to cook the turkey. Do you cook it with the ambers in? I do not like the smokey flavor. Or take the coals out of the oven to cook the turkey. Also, could you put the stuffing in the bird when cooking it? Also, when cooking the side dishes, like potatoes and sweet potatoes when is the best time to put them in. Is it recommended to use the pop-up that comes with the turkey or use a thermometer. What temperture should it be?

car1gil 11-08-2010 03:01 PM

Re: How to cook the Thanksgiving turkey

I just made my first turkey in my recently finished Pompei oven! I brought some at work today, made turkey sandwiches and all the guys loved it!:) I used the recipe on Forno bravo's site:
Brick Oven Roast Whole Turkey
It's simple, worked out fine for me, never having cooked a turkey before!:eek: Just follow the recipe. Actually my oven was around 375F/ 350F and I did not even use the aluminum foil as per the recipe and it turned out moist and delicious!
I cooked it with the ambers in, they don't bother me, you can take them out if you like. Didn't use stuffing, it should'nt make a difference, didn't make any potatoes this time, my main thing was to see how the turkey came out so that I'll be ready for Thanksgiving. No pop up, I used a meat thermometer that you need to stick in the thigh, turkey is ready at 180F. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

josephl 11-08-2010 04:50 PM

Thank for the info give it a try

dmun 11-09-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

No pop up, I used a meat thermometer that you need to stick in the thigh, turkey is ready at 180F.
The pop up timer is calibrated by food industry liability lawyers. Don't use it unless you like turkey the consistency of cardboard.

fxpose 11-09-2010 10:26 AM

I've never cooked turkey in my life so my wife freaked out when I suggest that I should perhaps roast a turkey in the wfo for T-giving....:p

josephl 11-09-2010 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the information on the pop-up thermometer. I will use the meat thermometer instead. I will be doing a test turkey on Thursday, I will let you know how it comes out.

Neil2 11-09-2010 05:41 PM

Try this:

YouTube - How to Butterfly a Chicken

it will cook much faster and more evenly.

dmun 11-10-2010 11:08 AM

A medium sized turkey might be beyond the scope of kitchen scissors. A sharp, rigid, knife may work better.

fxpose 11-10-2010 12:40 PM

Butterflying may be the way to go as my oven opening is rather low.

josephl 11-11-2010 04:15 PM

Well I cooked my first turkey , and it came out great. It took two hours and 15 minutes for a 12 pounder . Also made roasted potatoes and stuffing. I AM READY FOR THANKSGIVING!