Old 11-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: How to cook the Thanksgiving turkey

Alton Brown, of FoodTV, does a high heat turkey recipe, that we have done many times in our inside oven. Besides brining the turkey for 2 days , he starts a 500 degrees. I suspect that is because that is all that an electric residential oven will go to. The problem is that he then drops the temp to 350. Well, here it is.

Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil or a large mixing bowl for 15 minutes before carving.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephl View Post
Well I cooked my first turkey , and it came out great. It took two hours and 15 minutes for a 12 pounder . Also made roasted potatoes and stuffing. I AM READY FOR THANKSGIVING!
Jose,

What was the temperature of the oven and did you get any burning on the bottom side? I would think that the bird would want to be off the floor. Maybe sitting the pan on a tuscan grill?

I may give this a try this year.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Peasant

Hi Les,

When I made the turkey I put in a big pan ontop of a bed of onions, celery,
cut up carrots and a cup of water. Also coated the turkey with olive oil. Put in the meat thermometer in the thick part of the breast and covered it with aluminun foil and put it on the floor of the oven. The oven was at 500 degrees. It took about 2 hours and 15 minutes for a 12 pound turkey or when the thermometer hits 180 degrees. The turkey did not come out burnt. It was nice and golden brown on top and the bottom was not burnt because it was sitting on the bed of vegetables. There was about 2 inches of juice in the pan from the turkey that made the bottom to soft. Next time I will take the foil off about an hour after cooking to evaporate some of the juice. Give it a try it is easy. Also, I removed all the ambers before I put the turkey in.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks! 500 degrees is perfect if I want to cook some bread as well. My better half is worried about getting the drippings for gravy - I can figure this out. It sounds like the bird wants to be raised a little bit off the veg's so it browns on the bottom as well. When I put a bird in the smoker, I give it 1/2 hour per pound. To cook a 12 pound turkey in a little over 2 hours is incredible. If I screw this up - I know where they keep the restaurants.

Thanks again,

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ok - I need a little more input. It looks like a 12 pound bird can cook in 2 hours, 3 pounds in 1/2 hour, I get that. My wife just brought home a 22 pound bird. Is the time linear or is there another variable? Cooking this thing at 500 degrees gives me some concern.
Any input would be appeciated.

Les...

Old 11-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just got the oven to clean and shut the door. It's supposed to get down to 3degrees tonight and I believe it. Just hit the fence with the laser and it's 8 degrees, and it's only 8:30 PM. This is a great test of my insulation. This will be interesting...

Les...