Old 05-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Gumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inishta View Post
SJim, It's the powdered leaves of the sassafras tree and considered indispensible in Cajun cooking............

Okay, where do I find it...in the spices section? Any other names?

.....learning something new every day!
Old 05-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Journeyman

Gumbo file powder is a necessity for cooking authentic Cajun cuisine. Quite simply, gumbo file powder is the powdered leaves of the sassafras tree. When ground, they smell somewhat like eucalyptus or juicy fruit gum. Also has a flavor similar to root beer.

Long before the use of file powder for Creole and Cajun cooking, American Indians pounded sassafras leaves into a powder and added them to soups and stews. In addition to contributing an unusual flavor, the powder also acts as a thickener when added to liquid.

I use both because I like the taste. If you add enough okra to thicken then you have too strong and okra taste. If you do not use the file powder then you have soup. It can be ordered online. It is kept in the spice isle in the grocery store. Its a southern thing so online ordering is best way to go.

My 44" oven in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CajunKnight; 05-18-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Journeyman

OK a simple search and here you go... A cajun supermarket online lol.

Pure Cajun Products - New Orleans, Louisiana - File'

My 44" oven in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:39 AM
Master Builder

I snipped this from the site:

Remember the words to that old song "Jambalaya, crawfish pie, file' gumbo"? What it refers to is this File' (Pronounced Fee-Lay). File' powder, made from the dried leaves of sassafras trees that grow wild along the coast of the Gulf Of Mexico, was discovered and used by the Choctaw Indians long before the Acadians (Cajun's) reached Louisiana. When used in a gumbo, it imparts a delicate flavor somewhat similar to that of thyme, and a spoonful or so thickens stock into the kind of rich gravy that a genuine gumbo must have. But the cook must be careful: file' powder will become stringy if it is allowed to boil (the word file' may have come from the French word for "thread") and should be added only at the last possible minute.
It's a sin to eat gumbo without file'