Old 04-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Grossest foods you ever liked?

I ate brains as a kid mixed with scrambled eggs (mom is 100% Portuguese). I recall it not being that bad. In regard to the grosses thing I did not like – I have to go with cow tongue (that portuguese thing again ).

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

When my mother was in her seventies, I took her to quite a good Japanese restaurant, because I wanted her to experience the chefs slicing lemons in half while airborne (the lemons), throwing knives around and cutting up the ingredients for Tempanyaki (sp?). You have to understand that my mother was an Irish cook of the old school: BOIL EVERYTHING until all colour drains away. While we were waiting for the show to begin, I ordered several different kinds of sushi. It was completely new to her at the time. She particularly liked one of them and asked, "This is great, what's in it." When I replied, "raw tuna," she dropped a half eaten piece on her plate and never touched sushi again. Moral 1: don't ask until you've at least tried it. Moral
2: maybe some of our aversions are culturally created.

I'll try anything once, enough to know that tripe, octopus in ink, head cheese, brains are off my list for good.

Jim
Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

While bulut does indeed sound scary, I would probably prefer it to 80% of the things on the "Applebee's" menu. Seriously, I like it all. When I make chicken stock I use the gizzards, livers, hearts and skin and make a fabulous salad (from Jacques Pepin Celebrates cookbook). I love sweetbreads (Thymus gland), though they are bad for me. I love squid in ink. I guess I am not a huge tripe fan, but again, I would take it over what they served in my corporate cafeteria today if it was well prepared and well seasoned!

Give me runny, unpasteurized cheeses, raw fresh seafood, carpaccio, anything well prepared....

I think there is no bad food, just badly prepared food.

Drake
(getting fatter by the day)
Old 04-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I know most of our food phobias are culture related, I've tried very hard to get past many of them...in my mind there are still certain things that just are not apealing, whether it be appearance or specifically what the item is. I pretty much covered them in the previous post. Regardless of the culture, I think some things were not meant to be eaten.....but "man" has tried just about every part of every plant and animal over time. I guess the bottom line is food (regardless of what it is) is entirely subjective - one person loves something, the next doesn't, and the 3rd could take it or leave it.
My hats off to those who have at least tried obscure things such as Balut. Your a bigger person than I will ever be.
Trype....no thanks (maybe a preparation thing)
Head cheese...tastes better than it looks, but it is tough getting past the appearance.
Squid in ink...I think there are several better alternative ways of eating it.
Sweatbreads...pretty good, I would enjoy more if I didn't know what they were.

RT
Old 04-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Drake, I agree with the Applebee's comment......just wish I could get through to my wife. She loves one of their salads...Any evening we are pressed for time or don't feel like cooking, Applebee's carry out is her answer. In honesty, plan fast food (Micky Ds, Wendy's, Subway) is more appealing (and cheaper) to me (granted it is unhealthy). Fast food "is what it is" , Applebee's, Friday's, Bennigan's have decent ingredients and items - they just are not done very well...a waste.

RT
Old 04-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ha, finally my turn. My daughter spit out the bottle and toddled away!

I love squid in ink - pasta nera in Italy. Only available some nights in the seafood restaraunts. I'd get it every time its available. Excelente! Also mussles and most shell fish in Italy, down to tiny little bivalves the size of a quarter inch or so are incredibly good. Ricci - sea urchins- Nope! Won't do it again.

Cow tongue - I was raised on it as a boy. I had it on a train from Moscow to St. Petersburg in '99 just for chuckles. It was still great. Tripe is a no way for me too. Nasty texture. Sea cucumbers in the NW are really good, but a pain in the butt to harvest the meat out of. I can skip almost any food made with glands - liver-kidney, brains (not a gland - I know). Snails are no good and fish eggs are too salty.

I liked Bennigan's back in the good old days. There's not one anywhere nearby here. Appleby's - no way. Expensive for what you get and completely tasteless.

Good thread XJ!
Screaming baby is back. Gotta run!

-
Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Cow tongue - I was raised on it as a boy.
Here's an old joke. This guy walks into a restaurant and asks the waitress to bring him anything, anything at all. She comes back with a sandwich.

He peeks into it. "What's this?"

She says "A tongue sandwich"

"Tongue? Tongue! You want me to eat something that came out of the mouth of a cow? Take this away" he shudders.

"And bring me a couple of eggs"
Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey, wait a minute............THAT WAS ME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good one David. Funny how tongue can taste so different from other meat in the animal. Perhaps its the cow vs. the steer. Unique taste, though once accustomed to it, its pretty good. I don't think the family would go for it though. Perhaps blended?

-
Old 04-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

There's lots I like....

Alligator was good..."tastes like chicken"
Cow tongue ....lots growing up...hot or in sandwiches
Stuffed beef heart, liver and onions
Chicken hearts and gizzards with noodles
Kidneys in gravy on toast for Christmas day breakfast.
Polish pizza with sauerkraut!
Natural casing weiners

Other odd stuff though:
I did'nt go for the callos, a lungs and chickpeas tapa
...dad brought home chocolate covered ants
also fried grasshoppers (how 'bout those on your pizza)

Still no guts to try brains ....just another protein?

We just talked about sea urchins recently, eaten fresh with a spoon. Is that how you had them George?

yeah, forgot about McDonalds, Applebees, etc when I started the post!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!