Old 08-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Great Naan

I use a sandwich press to make my naan. It works really well, cooking both sides simultaneously, the dough just puffs up beautifully.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I use a sandwich press to make my naan. It works really well, cooking both sides simultaneously, the dough just puffs up beautifully.
oooh, dont ruin the whole fun! We are talking pizza oven here, not a $10 sandwich press...

Naan from sandwich press cant be any good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Serf

I tried making the Jaffrey dough and then cooked it by slapping it on the floor of my (hot) Primavera 60. Result: best Naan bread I've had outside of one or two restaurants on Devon Avenue in Chicago. I've tried a few other recipes and I recommend this one completely.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Serf

I have tried using pizza dough for naan but it turns out too crunchy. I will try jaffrey's naan recipe. I also have P60
Old 12-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

With lots of research Ive developed this Tandoor oven.
Tandoor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker.larry View Post
The chicken I was less happy with but I think that was because of the inferior chicken I started with and not the cooking technique.

Is anyone else experimenting with non western cooking in their ovens?

Larry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I grilled Tandoori chicken on a Tuscan grill and slow baked vegetable dishes and it has come out pretty good.

James
The chicken in a Tandoor doesn't touch anything but the iron rod its threaded on (which heats up and cooks the inside)
The rest of the cooking is done with hot air.
I think a jig that kept the iron bar in the air would be the way to go.
Maybe 2 steel bars on tripod legs at each end that you could rest the skewered chicken on.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
The chicken in a Tandoor doesn't touch anything but the iron rod its threaded on (which heats up and cooks the inside)
The rest of the cooking is done with hot air.
I think a jig that kept the iron bar in the air would be the way to go.
Maybe 2 steel bars on tripod legs at each end that you could rest the skewered chicken on.

A rib rack can achieve the same thing too, with minimum contact between chicken and the hearth floor. However i am not very comfortable with letting all the juice and marinade drip to the floor. I am using an aluminum foil below it to catch the juice. Does the aluminum foil change any effectiveness? Is it okay to let it drip to floor?

For the separate tondoor for naan, I think the naan has more to do with the dough and the way it is cooked. Floor temp > 800 F, Yogurt is a must and the naan is stretched on naan pad with no flour and misted with water, poke a hole in the middle and slap on the dome. However slapping on the floor should work just fine too (my guess). The hole in the middle prevents from making it a pita bread. There is another variation called "Roghni Naan" that has more oil in the dough and a sprinkle of sesame seed on the top. I plan on mastering both, hopefully soon.

Last edited by Ck_b2001; 12-28-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck_b2001 View Post
A rib rack can achieve the same thing too, with minimum contact between chicken and the hearth floor. However i am not very comfortable with letting all the juice and marinade drip to the floor. I am using an aluminum foil below it to catch the juice. Does the aluminum foil change any effectiveness? Is it okay to let it drip to floor?
Im not sure whether you would start getting chicken curry flavoured pizzas or a black stain form the burnt chicken fat.
With a tandoori that all falls into the fire and comes back as smoke to flavour the chook.
Maybe a pile of ash underneath a raised skewer would be the best???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck_b2001 View Post
For the separate tondoor for naan, I think the naan has more to do with the dough and the way it is cooked. Floor temp > 800 F, Yogurt is a must and the naan is stretched with much less flour on the mitten/pillow type deal,
I think the original naans were sourdough based its not like the average village Indian could go out and buy yeast in the supermarket, up until recently.
The pillow in my local Indian restaurant had a regular linen tea towel as the final layer and was constantly covered with flour and dough,I would imagine over time this would develop into a sour dough starter along with the way the dough would be stored handled would all add to the flavour.
Looking at the recipes they seem to mention Maida flour a highly processed flour that looks like cake flour (not bread flour)
Maida flour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
Im not sure whether you would start getting chicken curry flavoured pizzas or a black stain form the burnt chicken fat.
The beauty of wood fired ovens is that they are self-cleaning. Next time you fire the oven, the 1000F+ heat will make your floor sparkle like new. No black stains, no curry-flavored pizza!

Updated!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
With lots of research Ive developed this Tandoor oven.
Al,

That thing looks great! Do you deliver to Kentucky, USA?

Updated!