Old 01-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Weber Genesis with Pizza Que Stone Project w/PICS

The discoloration patterns on the stone trouble me. Perhaps your long baking times and overly hot stone are the culprit but...it doesn't look right to me! I really think you should try parchment paper (which is NOT wax paper - wax paper burns due to the wax, parchment uses silicone - it will char but it shouldn't stick. (and it will sort of burn where it is exposed so you do want to trim it pretty tight to the pizza.)

How much oil are you putting in your dough? The stone marks look like partially burned oil (which will get sticky and MIGHT be part of your problem).

Your description of why propane is hotter is off base. Propane is not "thinner." Propane is about three times as dense/heavy per cubic foot than natural gas and has about twice the energy per cubic foot (actually 2315 btu/scf vs 909 for natural gas). The flow rate of gas (scr/min) will actually be about the same since you use the same burners - but the flow rate of energy into the grill is about twice as much and therefore it gets much hotter.

Good luck!
Jay
Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Serf

Thanks for the explanation of the gas differences.

I have not used oil in the dough for the last couple batches.

I just cooked a pizza running at 600 degrees for about 2 min with no burning.

I will try to keep the air temp in that range. Any higher seems to cause the burning and sticking. Not sure the termometer is accurate. Maybe it gets hotter than it reads.

I think this because teh stone thermometer tapped out even when the grill only registered 450 when using NG.
Cheers,
Scott
Old 01-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Serf

Pizza party tomorrow. Hope all goes well.

My dough recipe is much better now, and I have worked out some of the kinks with making dough balls.
Cheers,
Scott
Old 01-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerreta View Post

I just cooked a pizza running at 600 degrees for about 2 min with no burning.

I think this because teh stone thermometer tapped out even when the grill only registered 450 when using NG.
Cheers,
Scott
Hey
Two minutes is nothing to sneeze about. You can stay very busy prepping, cooking and eating pizza at 2 minute intervals.
I am guessing that your thermometer is probably pegged. You should look into an infrared. Many of us have purchased them at HFT or on line and they do provide more accurate information.

Bruce
Old 01-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Journeyman

One of the biggest tricks to the perfect pizza in the WFO is the balance between dome temp and hearth temp. Looks like that will be your challenge, too. In the case of a WFO, having a decent size fire going on one side of the oven to allow the flames and heat to rise and reflect off the dome to cook the top of the pizza is critical.
Since it sounds like you have the "hearth" temp high enough (or too high), can you consider moving the stone to one side of the grill surface and cranking up as big a flame as you can get from the other side? Seems like that would come fairly close to what happens with a nice active fire in a WFO.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Serf

[QUOTE=splatgirl;77304
Since it sounds like you have the "hearth" temp high enough (or too high), can you consider moving the stone to one side of the grill surface and cranking up as big a flame as you can get from the other side? Seems like that would come fairly close to what happens with a nice active fire in a WFO.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could. But no. The burners in a Weber are Front Mid and back, not left mid and right.

Do yoiu think mounting a stone to the lid would help. I have been considering that.

Cookie, thanks for the tip. I love the Weber, so I don;t think it is worth changing grills to IR just for pizza. I'm very satisfied with the grill as is.

I had a pizza party on Sunday. Made 6 pies. All went well with maintainng grill air temp at 550. Pizza cooked in 2 to 2.5 minutes. I had a bit of charring on the bottoms, but not nearly as bad as the previous tests.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 01-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Journeyman

Pizza stone on the lid is an interesting idea, at least until you get around to building yourself a WFO Might help with the radiant heat to get the top cooked.

The IR thermometers we use are handheld, a point and shoot instant read with a laser sight. Super handy for pizza cookery and lots of other things...like finding the air leaks in your house in winter and measuring the temperature of very cold legs after walking out on the frozen tundra for an hour without my longies on. 64.5 for anyone who cares to know
Old 01-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Laborer

Scott,
Just think, you may not need an IR thermometer to measure cold legs in Tucson, but you can see how hot your car leather seats get in July!

Actually, I did get one of the Harbor Freight Tools IR thermometers to measure the pizza stone temperature, and installed a FB door thermometer to measure the air temperature. This has helped in getting the right temperature balance for the "perfect pizza". The current HFT catalog has the IR thermometer for $29.99, but with coupons you may be able to score it for less in the store over on E. 22nd St.
Ed
Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Serf

Thanks for clarification. I thought cookie was referring to an IR grill, not a thermometer. I will look into getting one of those, thanks.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Serf

Just a thought,

Have you thougt of cutting a pizza shaped slot in the bottom front of your grill and then reattaching with a top mounted piano hinge. That way you won't have to fully open your grill to insert, check, remove the pizza. You'll conserve heat when you "open" the grill.