Old 03-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Stones for very high temps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD56 View Post
I doubt I speak for everyone, but if convenience was the driving force then I don't think i'd even bother making my own pies.

For me, whether it's cooking, brewing my own beer, makings pizza's, whatever... It's all about testing myself to see how good of a product I can produce. I LOVE Neapolitan style pizza, thus my goal is to make the best representation of it that I can possibly pull off. If that means planning dough 3 days ahead spending my Saturday morning splitting oak logs, well then so be it!
I can make a very satisfying margherita under the grill on a stone, but you are right, nothing beats doing it the old-fashioned way.
If convenience was the goal we'd still be choking down bought pizza.

Tropical Coasting - you need the carport to keep the weather of your firewood pile, but the oven is way more important than garden beds and landscaping. Oven first mate. The missus'll get over it. Or not.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
Tropical Coasting - you need the carport to keep the weather of your firewood pile, but the oven is way more important than garden beds and landscaping. Oven first mate. The missus'll get over it. Or not.

Its a veggy gardens
I need to grow the san marzanos and basil.
An investment in veggies gardens delivers significant tangible financial returns.
That can then be utilised on a Pizza oven.
Carport protects an investment and provides a vertical growing surface for grapes and passionfruit,somewhere to attach a solar panel or wind turbine to charge an electric bike.
Pizza oven will eventually reduce electricity and LPG costs and deliver bio char for the veggies, but at a far lesser return on investment.
There's a logic to the madness.

Im Peak Oil aware and I dont think we have too many years of cheap oil to go so Im trying to speed things up that will help reduce my cost of living pressures.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:03 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
Its a veggy gardens
I need to grow the san marzanos and basil.
An investment in veggies gardens delivers significant tangible financial returns.
Sigh, it must be lovely to live somewhere that veggies will actually grow.
Here in South Oz, I plant tomatoes as soon as I can at the end of winter, and hope I get a crop before Christmas. By New Year the sun kills everything.
Our basil gets grown in pots.