Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Result of Pizza recipe changes?

Wotavidone, some around here use 80% and once you have a feel for shaping the dough you should find that a bit more water allows you to get the pizza dough thiner easier. As for sticking I use rice flour on the peel and on the dough out of the container holding the dough ball. I use no oil, just 00 flour, yeast, salt and good filtered water. The common logic is that Cupito 00 is better at high temps than other flours and if I was only cooking at 550F in my kitchen oven I'd try quality all porpose flour and see where the flavor and texture are.

1kg 00 flour
7g instant yeast
18g sea salt
650g spring water or filtered water
Mix to combine and rest for 30 minutes.
Strech and fold every 10 minutes (4 times total) cover and place the dough in the fridge for 1 to 3 days. Divide the dough into about 210g balls rest the balls and use or pack them in plastic containers and rest in the fridge. remove the dough balls 1 hour before use.

Chris

PS I don't use a mixer because I don't see any advantage in doing so with the above method.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Peasant

I continue reading about pizzas and bread-making and I have more questions I hope you don't mind.

Nobody has mentioned dough autolysis (it's common for baker's to mix the flour and the water and allow it to rest for 20 minutes before adding the yeast).
I've also read that is better to add the salt after the yeast has acted, but it's not good to knead it if it has already blown the dough, because it can go down. Then, when should I add the salt?

Do you prefer electric ovens or gas ovens? (This is related with my post about humidity).

Pizzas are better if they are made in a very hot oven. But lately I've heard that is not very healthy to cook at very high temperatures. What do you think?

Is there any common device or trick to reduce the smoke produced by wood fired ovens?
Perhaps just reflowing it through water?. Or this would extingish the fire?
I say that because of the incresaing environmental regulation.
It could be a nice extra for your ovens.

Regards

Last edited by skan; 01-13-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm adding a couple of links to some experiments done regarding Autolyse, a good read and very thought provoking. The following was mined at "thefreshloaf.com"
===========

Experiments with Autolyse (Autolysis) # 1 - Discovering Sourdough (post #1 dated October 26, 2011)

and

Experiments with Autolyse # 2 - Discovering Sourdough (post #2 dated November 3, 2011)

Definitely worth the read! Thanks Teresa. We owe you.
==============
Teresa's results seem to indicate that for her breads a 2 to 3 hour autolyse is valuable and that including the levain in the begining is better. Adding salt is better after autolyse and more than 3 or so hours of autolyse isn't helpful. I'm doing a bit of a reach here, but for flour with less protien, like 00 compaired to bread flour, less autolyse is better.

I autolyse my pizza dough about 30 minutes. I add the salt directly into the pizza dough at the begining, but may hold off on this in the future. I have moved to adding the salt into my bread dough after autolyse.

I don't think for pizza that gas or electric is better as long as you have a hot oven and a stone. I also don't think that as often as most of us eat pizza and could eat pizza that the high temps are unhealthy, the fat of bad commercial american pizza is what will kill you.

Smoke is most often related to just starting the fire in the oven and wood that isn't fully dry. The smoking is light and does not last throughout the fireing of the oven and it's much less than an open fire.

Please check out "The fresh loaf" you'll find a wealth of bread bakers over there.

Chris

Further information on Autolyse is avalable in the hearthbread forum.

Last edited by SCChris; 01-15-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Providing further info
Old 01-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Peasant

I'll read it.
I find interesting this one:
Jeff Varasano's NY Pizza Recipe
I didn't know if I shouldn't write links to other pages.
I've also read some in Spanish.

I'm gona try two pizzas, one with flour 00 and one with high gluten flour+semolina.

Oh!, I've found a picture of the kind of pizza I don't like
How do they get this?. The recipe is also the pizza one. Too much yeast?

Last edited by skan; 01-13-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your photo looks more like foccacia rather than pizza in my opinion.

Chris
Old 01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Peasant

Yes, but isn't it supposed to use the same dough?

I've checked The Fresh Loaf and remembered that I've already been surfing it some time ago. I've also visited pizzamaking.com.
But what I've found interesting at fornobravo is that you are friendly and answer easily to my doubts.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It can, but not always. If you took the pizza dough and rather than stretch it out to a few mm / a 16th of an inch or so as you would for pizza, you let the dough thickness be 1cm / 1/2 and inch or more then you'll have foccacia. The definition of pizza varies so widely that pizza is really a family of foods rather than a specific food. For instance;
Chicago pan pizza is more like a pie and needs baking for 30 minutes to heat and cook the pie.
Naples and New York style is very thin crust and cooking takes somewhere between 60 and 120 seconds. The ovens that are usually used for this type of pizza is somewhere around 700F to 900F or 370C to 480C.
The foccacia would cook somewhere about 200 to 250C, it needs these lowered temps to cook the bread fully.

For thin crust pizza high temps are ideal but not manditory.

Pizzamaking.com is another good resource to take a look at, but I agree that many folks here are very helpfull.

Chris
Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Peasant

I'm glad to see I'm not the only freaky guy that asks so many questions.

Another guy made the same question about oil, egg and milk:
Oil, sugar, milk, what are effects of adding to dough recipe?

So, now I think I have enough information I need to practise and decide if I prefer to use 00 Coputo flour or high gluten+semolina.
I think you prefer the 00?

At the beginning I said I like crispy pizzas but I've also tried too crispy ones. They are too dry and they break when you hold them.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Peasant

Please read the first paragraph:
Survey Data on Acrylamide in Food: Total Diet Study Results
Old 01-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The Pizza numbers don't look so bad on review, but what the research calls pizza and what most around here call pizza are very different animals. Everything in moderation and a cheese pizza a night isn't really moderation.

Enjoy

Chris