Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pizza Baking Steel

Sorry Deejayoh that I don't have pictures for you. I can say, the steel really pumps heat to pizza well over what my granite use to do.. I swapped out ovens so I can't compare it to the soapstone I use to have in the oven.. I've moved from the granite to a 1" Cordierite Kiln Shelf in anticipation of baking more baguettes and the Cordierite is more consistent with hearth breads. The steel plate really puts the heat to pizza and does a better job of browning the crust quickly, the Cordierite will delay the browning of the bread, at least this is the theory. I hope to do some baking and have photos this weekend.

Chris

PS I don't see the steel as any sort of replacement for the WFO and the 700F plus temps other than when you want to do a very limited number of pizzas and nothing else.

Last edited by SCChris; 03-28-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
PS I don't see the steel as any sort of replacement for the WFO and the 700F plus temps other than when you want to do a very limited number of pizzas and nothing else.
Yep. Leftover dough + No time to light oven = making pizza in the oven for me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Easter didn't afford me the time that I'd expected, sorry no update on the steel. :-(

Dejayoh, I had a thought regarding this though, two steel plates should provide even better results than the single steel. The idea is that a second plate placed over the pizza would cook the top better. I often run across the cooking protocol of "pre-heat the oven to its hottest setting with the pizza stone on the highest shelf, when the pizza is on the stone switch to the broiler to cook the pizza top while heat stored in the stone cooks the bottom. Some of the frankenweber style pizza devices run with a very low ceiling to promote cooking from the top. I’ll drop by my metal supply place and pickup another plate to test.

Chris
Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

With 2 balls of dough and a hungry son I had the opportunity to give the steel a go.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza Baking Steel-steel.jpg   Pizza Baking Steel-pizza.jpg   Pizza Baking Steel-leparding.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just subscribing...

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 09-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can subscribe to a thread at the top of the screen by selecting the "thread tools" menu drop down and then selecting Subscribe to this thread.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I know - I was in a hurry and didn't see it.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]