Old 08-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Peasant

Default Re: How to cook pizza on your BBQ - Pictures!

Matt,
Do you have an IR thermometer? It really helps to know the temp of the stone. I don't know if it would help, but the double stone technique by Villa roma may help you. Check out the other thread.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Serf

Quote:
I've been experimenting with this for quite some time now & believe it or not, I'm finding that my stone gets to hot. Within a minute or so of being on the stone, the bottom of the pizza is burnt while top is still very light. After shaping my pizzas I remove any excess flour but am finding that once it hits the stone it burns immediately. Your pizzas look fantastic. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
A lot of it depends on the grill you use.

I have two gas grills available to choose from, and I get very different results depending on which grill I use. With the grill I use most frequently, I don't even fire it up until I've already stretched my dough because the stone gets really hot really fast. (Sounds like your grill.) Additionally, this grill provides very little top heat, so it's always an adventure. You really have to know what you're doing to make pizza in this grill.

The other grill is less of an adventure. It doesn't get nearly as hot, and it requires less skill to produce an edible pizza. It does make a very good pizza (compared to the electric oven in the house), but not necessarily a memorable pizza. Honestly, I can't remember exactly how it behaves because I haven't used it in a couple years.

I almost always peel my pizzas onto the stone, but with the first grill I described (the hot one), I occasionally use a screen. I really don't like using screens, but this method gives the top of the pizza a chance to cook.

I think the most important factor in learning how to make great pizza in different ovens is experience. Just like with anything else--bowling, football, musical instruments, math, etc.--you need to practice to improve (or to gain knowledge). Obsession helps, too.

Ryan

Last edited by Aimless Ryan; 12-09-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Serf

I know this is an old thread but I've been cooking pizza's on my grill for almost a year now. Over that time I have used 3 different grills. I had a similar experience as Ryan with my hot grill. I found that putting the pizza stone on a layer of 1" fire brick helps.

Thom

Last edited by Thom; 12-07-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Serf

A gas grill trick I've learned within the last year: Cover the bottom of the stone with aluminum foil. Foil reflects heat and keeps the stone from getting too hot. With this trick, there's no need to use a screen; you can peel the skin directly onto the stone, just like you would in an oven. I've had amazing results since I started doing this.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Laborer

I'm glad Thom revived this thread. My experience on the grill (aka BBQ outside the U.S.A.) has been like Matthew's - stone too hot, instantly burns bottom of pizza to a crisp while the top hasn't even gotten warm. Heating the stone to a lower temp saves the burning, but the top takes forever to cook because the grill loses all of its heat while it's open for loading the pizza. Even turning all of the burners to high as soon as the pizza is in doesn't work. And the pizza sucks .

I don't have an infrared unit on my grill. I wonder if I can retrofit one, but mount it in the top so it will be directly over the pizza...hmmmm
Old 12-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Serf

Hi Doug,

Those are some nice looking pizza's. :-) 3-4 min is really fast. What grill do you have? BTU's?

Thom
Old 12-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Laborer

Nice Pizzas, Doug. It's no surprise that you have already tried this and worked out a solution.

It seems like there is a fairly delicate temperature balance between the temperature of the stone/bricks and the heat output of the grill itself while the pizza is cooking. That balance is likely to vary widely from one grill/stone setup to another and simply has to be worked out by experimenting with various techniques and timing.

Your solution works beautifully and provides excellent guidance. Thanks for sharing it.

Bob
Old 03-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Peasant

I don't know if you've seen my post over on Pizza Quest. But, I stumbled on this idea one day and it worked great. I used a smoker box within my gas grill and was able to get a little smoke, fire and enough heat to do a decent pizza.

I later went on and bought a bunch of fire brick and tried to build a "dome" of sorts with the fire and gas and my results weren't quite as good that time. I still have to go back and play with that too.

Here's my first attempt:

A Wood-Fired Gas Grill

Part II:

A Brick Wood/Gas Grill Oven Project

This is all just a lame attempt at pretending I have a wood fired oven! I can't wait to get the real thing.

Brad
Old 03-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Peasant

Karangi Dude,

What are fire brick splits?

If you see above, I think I got far less radiant heat with my big fire brick cover than I actually got using just my lid.

It was a fun project and I haven't had time to go back to it. But, I think your story is helpful knowing that by playing around and learning with your bbq you were further along when you got to the real wood burning oven.

Send me some photos and some recipe stories for Pizza Quest!

Thanks,

Brad
Old 03-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Laborer

I can get the pizza stone up to over 700 but I usually don't cook it that high.