Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Firebrick Electric Oven Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
Maybe this is a stupid idea (. . . that line has to be up there with "Hey watch this!" or "Wonder what this button does" ), but what if you disconnected the door lock for the cleaning cycle and bake the pizza at over 600 deg C.? Has anyone actually done this? Or haven't I had enough coffee yet? The stove must be designed with sufficent insulation to handle the cleaning temp, so why not bake?

Chuck

There's actually a hilarious story about defeating the self-clean safety for that very reason in the Ed Levine book "Pizza, a slice of heaven"
Old 04-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Serf

Don't think I'll tread on defeating door interlocks.

I have a Kitchen-Aid and it will go to 599 degrees Fahrenheit though it doesn't seem to cycle on and off at that setting. It seems to do fine at 575 which is an acceptable upper limit. Pies in 8 or 9 minutes? Daniel Leader relates in his book, "Bread Alone" that he uses half firebricks in his home oven and is quite satisfied with the attendant "oven spring" they provide. So the original idea for baking sourdough on them seems to be on track. One question is whether to use mortar to cement the brick to an oven stone? Leader mentions that the patterns of the brick leave an impression on the bottom of the bread. Gave me the idea of grinding out a "personal brand" on the firebrick to give the bread a makers mark...,

Wild-Yeast
Old 04-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

TDVT,
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing tonight. I figure that heat screen is in front of the glass for a reason when the oven's on clean. The very worst you could do is burn your house down along with all your earthy belongings. Give it a try and let us know how it works!

Wait, on second thought, um, .....give it a second or third thought. Its just pizza. 550 for 10 minutes still makes a nice pie.

-