Old 09-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Crust issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
I really don't have a recipe, per se...I used the recipe on the back of the flour bag (I know, how lame).

Just acquired Peter Rheinhart's book (American Pie) and plan to follow one of his recipes.

Talked to my oven manufacturer (Wolf). They were not particularly helpful in deciphering what burners operate in what mode. I'm going to try Bake Convection next time and will crank this thing all the way (550- I think).

Thanks for your help, chevelle.
One other thing I do in my (non-convection) oven is use 2 stones, one on top and one on the bottom. My pizza comes out very good, top and bottom. Much better than without the stone on top.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
Talked to my oven manufacturer (Wolf). They were not particularly helpful in deciphering what burners operate in what mode. I'm going to try Bake Convection next time and will crank this thing all the way (550- I think).
That's a real shame that Wolf isn't being informative. What's the secret, after all, that they can't share with their customers and users??? That kind of thing drives me nuts!

Suggest pre-heat with convection, but during bake keep a careful eye that toppings don't cook faster than the crust because of the convection. I assume Wolf give you the ability to turn the convection off if you don't want/need it.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Journeyman

You'd be able to see the upper element cycling on if you kept an eye on it during baking. Unfortunately I am all too familiar with crappy manufacturer service on a range that costs almost as much as a small car. I've gotten better service and support on a $25 blender than on any of my high end appliances.

FWIW, I found that I didn't like using convection mode for pizzas in my indoor oven, but I think that just like WFO pizza cookery, it just takes experimentation and practice to find what works best for you.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Peasant

OK...lunch is over and here's the results.

I had a dough ball left over from a couple of days ago in the frig and decided to make it for lunch. I set oven on Convection Bake/550F and let it warm my stone for 75 minutes on the middle rack. The dough sat out on the counter for 2 hours.

The results were good..better than before. I would rate the crust 7/10...not good enough to win the gold, but pretty darn tasty. The crust was definitely crisper and more browned than before- so this is progress.

Here's what I ate:

Last edited by bobframe; 09-30-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Peasant

One more of the bottom:

Old 09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Peasant

One more issue:

I find that the crust bottom has a lot of uncooked flour on it- obviously a by product of rolling the dough on a floured surface. Tried to brush it all off, but I guess I'm unable to get it all. Also, sliding the dough onto a floured peel seems to add flour.

Am I being fussy or am I missing a step here?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I second Brian! The NeoNeoplolitan is easier to handle and well behaved which can be helpful to newbies. Biggest caveat is to ball it early. The bread flour needs to relax before you form pies. Longer the better.

550 is great. But give it an hour to get the stone to temp. You will have to experiement with convection on/off to see which works better for the pies. Convection will heat the stone faster but for pies it may or may not balance well between the rate the top and bottom cooks.

Good Luck!
Jay
Old 09-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Journeyman

Nice looking Pie, Bob. My mouth started watering!

Aside from using the absolute minimum amount of flour on the board, and "lubricating" the paddle with corn meal or semolina or rice flour (everyone seems to have their favorite)... the approach I often take is the use of a screen. I throw the dough and land it on an appropriately sized screen befroe suacing, topping ad baking. After a couple of minutes the skin has set enough to slide a peel between the screen and pie. The screen comes out and the pie goes directly on the stone. This is one way to minimize the amount of flour, etc on the bottom of the pizza.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
Nice looking Pie, Bob. My mouth started watering!

Aside from using the absolute minimum amount of flour on the board, and "lubricating" the paddle with corn meal or semolina or rice flour (everyone seems to have their favorite)... the approach I often take is the use of a screen. I throw the dough and land it on an appropriately sized screen befroe suacing, topping ad baking. After a couple of minutes the skin has set enough to slide a peel between the screen and pie. The screen comes out and the pie goes directly on the stone. This is one way to minimize the amount of flour, etc on the bottom of the pizza.
Brian,

I am interested in this "screen" approach. Can you describe the screen in more detail? Pictures?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Bob, your pizza's look quite nice. Aren't you glad you moved over to this thread and got much better advice than mine on the original? You've got people all over the country ready to re-calibrate your Wolf oven for you .

MY favorite release is rice flour shaken out of a large salt shaker with a handle. Rice is so hard and repels water (wheat cooks in seconds, rice cooks in 45 minutes) that a little works terrific to slide the pie off the paddle.

Seriously, nice looking pies. I love that Reinhart 'America Pie' book. BrianShaws got good advice. Can't wait to get more details on his 'screen'.

Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread