Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: WFO with a view

@eprante and @stevep - Thanks for the comments. Yeah - bummer to cover up the bricks but looking forward to cooking some pizza!

No real progress for me the past 3 weeks. Was out of town for a couple of weekends and then catching up on other house/yard projects last weekend. Getting back in the swing of things this week - ordered my DuraVent chimney components and got my insulating blanket today. Now I just need to get the rest of my igloo stucco supplies in place.

I'm starting to cut it close with my plan to be cooking pizza in early August. Going to keep moving forward and cross my fingers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Totally awesome vent transition tfasz. One of the cleanest, most symmetrical I've seen. But more so, really well angled-transitioned. I love the bevel across the front edge of both arches.

I went with 3" FB blanket on top and 2 around the sides but I needed (wanted) extra left over to wrap the lower vent/transition area and stuff some between my metal bits. I think you are doing igloo style? Should look great.

Thanks for posting, I think when folks on this forum post these pics, especially what we think is difficult or hard to "wrap-your-head-around", like vent transitions, it makes it so much easier for the next builder.

Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Apprentice

Dino - I struggled a bit with different approaches but I like the how the bricks span between the front and inner arch - don't think I'll have to worry about those falling into the oven when it starts getting hot in there.

I got 2x50 sq. ft. rolls of superwool for the insulation. Hoping that gives me enough for 2-3" on the sides and 4" on top. That will be the project for next weekend. Then yes, I'm planning on stucco over the top of that for an igloo.

I'll also be back to ask some questions on forming a concrete counter top in front like you did. Have to figure out how to tie that into the existing base platform.

Thanks for the comments!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Apprentice

Per some feedback in this thread (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...e-i-13418.html (Should I fill in the gaps before I insulate?)), went ahead and made some home brew mortar and filled in the gaps in my lower courses. Once I found hydrated lime the home brew mortar was pretty simple to mix and fill. Definitely cures a bit differently than the HeatStop 50 (seems a lot harder after 12 hours) and not quite as easy to work with.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Apprentice

Haven't posted in a while, but have been making progress on getting a working pizza oven. The weather has been fantastic in Seattle and I managed to get the insulation on the oven last weekend. Then I worked a bit on the finishing touches around the front of the oven for attaching the wire lath and doing some perlite/cement combo around the front entry way.

Also managed to pick up some firewood from someone in the area who had some old firewood they wanted to get rid of.

Still hoping to have things in order and ready for our summer party in a couple of weeks.

Insulation goes on easily.

Having a strap makes attaching the lath a lot easier. Combination of zip ties and some copper wire twisted between joints.

And I stared the curing this weekend. 24 hours with a work lamp inside brought it from ~65 degrees up to 120. Then had a day of some newspaper fires and started with some small wood fires today bringing it up to 250 degrees. Might try some lump wood charcoal tomorrow to see if I can keep a little longer consistent fire.

Having the bricks in the opening is a great way to control the intensity of the fire. I can just move a brick over the opening and fire dies down almost instantly if it is getting out of hand.

Looking forward to some hot pizza in the near future.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Apprentice

Got the 1st coat and half my 2nd coat of stucco done (ran out after my 3rd 80lb bag of stucco base). Picking up one last bag on Saturday, then will put a coat of SBC over the top in a week or two.

Shooting for our first big pizza party on Sunday - the Blue Angels are in town for Seafair and we always have a gang in the back yard watching them fly overhead.

The blue tape is just temporary until I have the stucco and SBC done.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Apprentice

Wow I'm impressed with your brick skills! Looking good.

My projects:
Old 08-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Scott!

Your project is mighty impressive and certainly going to inspire me to build some type of overhead structure for my oven. Love the wood & beams.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Apprentice

Wanted to have a test run before our friends arrive on Sunday, so we had our first pizza in the oven last night. Gotta say it was pretty yummy. It all cooked great, but I think I need to get the floor a bit hotter - not sure if it has not fully dried out yet or I need to keep a bigger fire going on the side (I think the later).

No cracks in any of the brickwork yet that I have noticed, but I did get a nice crack in the stucco I just put on this week. It was right in front from the arch up to the chimney.

Last edited by tfasz; 08-07-2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Fixed image url
Old 08-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Apprentice

You do fabulous work! Congrats

Life is too short to drink cheap beer