Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: WFO with a view

Beautiful!

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Master Builder

Great view, great site, and the corner set up is looking good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 04-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Journeyman

looks like an awesome spot!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Laborer

From one weekend mason to another, I applaud you. Your location is incredible and will make for great memories with this oven.

Dan
Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Apprentice

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffy View Post
How far along are you with the build?
That last set of pictures is from this weekend - just wrapped up the inner arch and did the 4th level of the dome. The arches and landing area definitely make things more complicated and slow me down. The dome has gone pretty smoothly so far, but I'm sure as it get's steeper and I start joining it into the arch it will be a bit challenging.

I've been using HeatStop 50 mortar. The stuff really works great and certainly simplifies getting the hang of it. Just have to be careful not to let your hose sit out in the sun for a while before using it to mix your mortar. I had one batch go off pretty quick and realized afterwards that the water coming out of the hose was ~100 degrees F. I'm planning on using HeatStop to finish the dome and vent and then use left-overs and maybe mix some homebrew to fill in all of the gaps on the outside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Serf

Not in a hurry? Arg! I would want to savor that location and view with pizza in my face right now. But then again us California folk are always in a hurry. Makes me want to move back up to Seattle. It looks really nice, excited to see the final product.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey TF
Quote:
I've been using HeatStop 50 mortar. The stuff really works great and certainly simplifies getting the hang of it.
Heat Stop - High Temperature Resistent Refractory Mortar

Quote:
1. Q. How long should we wait after installation before heat may be applied to fireplace or chimney?
A. With regard to firebrick, clay flue lining or any of the Heat Stop refractory mortar products simply wait one day after all of the masonry in the fireplace or chimney has been installed.
I recently found this info on the heat stop 50 website,, they claim you can have fire after a 1 day cure,, I used the heat stop50 as well and loved its workability..

Im not suggesting you light your oven 1 day after its built,, I wouldnt want to be the first one to try this,, Maybe that is more suitable to a Fireplace and not an oven..

Your build is Meticulous,,, Nice Job
Cheers
Mark
Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Apprentice

Mark - appreciate the comments.

I haven't really thought much about it yet, but will probably stick to a bit more tried and true curing process. It does seem pretty crazy to apply full heat to it within a day. With the amount of water I feel like I have been using it seems like it is going to take months for this thing to dry out.

BTW - I grew up in Bergen County (Ridgewood) - that is what drove me to want to make a pizza oven. I sooo miss the variety of pizza options in the area and in NYC. When we go back to visit family it pretty much is a diet of pizza, pasta, and bagels for the week. Seattle is catching up but not quite there - haven't had a nice piece of Sicilian pizza in years!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey T,,
Quote:
I haven't really thought much about it yet, but will probably stick to a bit more tried and true curing process. It does seem pretty crazy to apply full heat to it within a day
I agree with you on this, I wouldnt have done it either, Just thought it was odd they would post it,, even if its true, You would think they would throw in a few extra days for safety,,,,
Quote:
BTW - I grew up in Bergen County (Ridgewood)
We could have been neighbors,,, I live in Paramus, about 5 blocks from the Duck Pond... I am right off Ridgewood ave. Im sure you remember T & W Ice cream ??

And lately, the pizza around here really sucks.. I built my oven as a tribute to my father who always wanted one after Using my Uncle's oven in Italy... He never got to it, But I finally did.... Love my oven
Cheers
Mark
Old 04-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
We could have been neighbors,,, I live in Paramus, about 5 blocks from the Duck Pond... I am right off Ridgewood ave. Im sure you remember T & W Ice cream ??
Oh yeah - remember the duck pond and T&W. There used to be some fancy clothing store right there too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
And lately, the pizza around here really sucks.. I built my oven as a tribute to my father who always wanted one after Using my Uncle's oven in Italy... He never got to it, But I finally did.... Love my oven
Cheers
Mark
Great to hear about the oven inspiration - sorry to hear the pizza has gone to hell. I think I spent 90% of my high school lunches at Lenny's Pizzeria, and remember being at Sal's Pizzeria when the Challenger Shuttle disaster happened in 1986.

Bergen county is a great place - nice to see some good pizza is still being made there in hand-built ovens!