Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: WFO In South Georgia

I love the fact that the whole family is helping...I can't get my kids to clean their room, nevermind actually helping with construction.

You guys are making quick work- New Years Pizza could happen!

See ALL of my pictures here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Breven, I figure kid's rooms are why doors were invented!

bturton, it's looking good. Don't worry about the mess! It gets covered up, and no one will ever see it. Mine was so lumpy on the outside it was sort of funny. But with 2 layers of blanket on it and vermicrete on that, and then stucco, well, no one can see!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Peasant

WooHoo!
We put the last couple rows on last night and couldn't wait to see if it was really going to stand. It did and it was still there this morning! Can world peace be far behind? I'm so psyched! (too many exclaimation points?) The whole process was a lot more fun than I anticipated.

I feel like I should send out birth announcements.
Attached Thumbnails
WFO In South Georgia-closetothetop.jpg   WFO In South Georgia-cutting_blocks.jpg   WFO In South Georgia-keystone1.jpg   WFO In South Georgia-digging-out-sand.jpg   WFO In South Georgia-mostlyempty.jpg  

Old 12-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Peasant

Okay, a couple more shots and then I'll quit.
We made the forms out of the pink insulation board. When the curve started getting intimidating we put sand in to fill in up. It gave great support and was forgiving enough to let us make adjustments as we went. My husband was great about cutting the bricks. Couldn't have done the beveling and tapering without the Harbor Freight saw. As best we could tell, each row seemed to bear its own weight independent of the internal support, which was what we were hoping for. Having the sand let us dry fit them and then push it back a little to see if the fit was as good as we wanted.
I realize that compared to the works of art that are frequently found in this forum our oven seems a little primative - sort of like trying to enter a mutt at Westminster but I'm really proud.
As an optimistic attempt at immortality, I chiseled a "T" into the keystone.
So we probably won't have New Year's pizza, but I resolve to eat/make way more pizza in 2009...
You guys rock,
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
WFO In South Georgia-nextday.jpg   WFO In South Georgia-p1000297.jpg  
Old 12-31-2008, 06:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturton View Post
too many exclaimation points?
No way!! If anything in life deserves exclamation marks, the birth of a new oven dome does!! Congratulations, it looks great!!

And no way is that a mutt either! Its a beautiful example of its kind, coming from a long lineage of perfectly respectable oven domes.

I love the bit about world peace, too. Feels pretty unreal when the dome all locks into place, doesn't it?