Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.

Leave the form in there for a week and remember to keep the concrete wet. You'll get stronger slab.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Laborer

Good thought...actually, since I'm traveling tomorrow morning and won't be back for a month, I'll leave the plywood and legs that were supporting the pad in place until I get back.
Right now, the whole thing is covered with a plastic sheet to keep in the wet.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Laborer

OK! We are back in business! After a month away, we returned to 4 days of no electricity in the wake of the thunderstorms that rolled through here during the night of June 29-30---and a week of 100 degree heat that put a bit of a damper on the oven construction. Still, bought my brick on Friday ($1.47 each for Mt. Savage medium-duty...and got the Heat-Stop #50 bag for $72 each...not too bad in either case, I think) and have been entertaining myself laying out the oven floor and mock-ups of the dome on the garage floor. Figure that I can get all this marked up and ready to cut, and still stay out of the heat.
Actual construction is on hold pending acquisition of insulating board. FB has the best price for fiberboard, but the $120 shipping charge to Virginia is a kick in the pants; the best local price I've found is about $24/sq.ft.. I've been trying to find some calcium silicate board nearby because of the lower price (ideally the IIG Super Caltemp Gold 1700 which specs out to 1700˚F. max operating temperature) but no luck so far. If I still have no success by the end of Monday, I'll just bite the bullet and order the FB board....want to get started again.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rjdealhome,
Distribution International had a good price on CalSil and the blanket. There are a couple of locations in Virginia and one in Maryland. Here is a link to there location map. Back when I started my build I priced CalSil at there location in Mobile, AL. I was lucky and was given a couple of boxes, so I did not buy. Later, I did buy my blanket from their location In Jackson, MS. I hope one of their locations is not too far from you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Laborer

Thanks, Gulf...I'll give them a call Monday morning. Hope springs eternal!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I forgot to mention that D.I. sells their CalSil by the box only. Also, the dimensions of their board is 1' X 3'. I believe there are 6 boards to the box. That is exactly what I needed to for the dome and entrance. Might want to double check that when you get them on the phone.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Laborer

Thanks, Gulf. I was able to source the Thermo-12 Gold CalSil board from Distribution International---yes, I had to buy the whole box, but it comes in at $160 for 27 sq. ft. including shipping from Hampton to the local store so it is a bargain compared to anything else and I'll have it by Thursday. I also checked out the super CalTemp Gold 1700 as an alternative to the Thermo-12, but it is $6 a sq. ft. (as opposed to $4) and would require big $$ in shipping from Colorado (so I was told).
So, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this!

Spent the day cutting the bricks for the oven floor... the HF saw works well, with the pump set in a separate bucket as suggested by so many others on this site. Still acquiring the skill level needed to get those little notch cut-outs done without messing up the whole brick. Ah, well----$1.47 added cost per screw-up.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Laborer

It is beginning to take shape! This after spending the last several days cutting brick in the garage, laying it all out on the floor, cussing at the results, cutting it again, more profanity, and eventually coming to grips with "It's as good as you're going to get it!".
Got my insulation board on Thursday morning, managed to cut it to shape with minimal problem, and placed on the slab with the floor laid out on it. Since the CalSil board was level and smooth, I just laid the floor bricks directly on it with no fire clay/sand mix---hope that this is not an issue (can't imagine that it should be.)
So today, with more than a bit of trepidation, I mixed up some of the Heat-Stop and mortared the soldier course in place. It looks like what I see in the photos everyone posts and in the Pompeii plans---I just hope it will stand and deliver. Had to cover it all up as thunderstorms threaten, so we will see tomorrow...or whenever I can get back to the oven build. The "honey-do" list has been updated, courtesy of a failed pool pump, so that is going to be the #1 priority tomorrow.
Posting a couple of picture taken earlier. (Ended up not using the flared oven entry that was original drawn; and later went back to the straight entry that I had cut out and modified it to allow for a 1" reveal for the door. Design changes on the fly, as counterpoint to all the guys who have designed and spec-ed out everything before cutting a single brick.)
Attached Thumbnails
Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.-build16.jpg   Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.-build17.jpg  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did not mention it in my thread, but I set my hearth brick straight down on the Thermo-Gold-12. I did not see where I was going to get any more level. Shipping must have been kind of high, but then again I haven't priced in about a year. (2" is a stock item in Mobile, AL). I was intimidated by the flaired oven entry. It may not be the thing to do, but I ended up with about the same angle for working the oven as a flaired.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Laborer

Yeah, I had to pay $50 to have it shipped into the Alexandria, VA location. Product price was $112 for the full box of 27 sq.ft.---actually quite good, compared to anything else.