Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.

Thanks for the feedback. We may have to consider this.

Faith, I cannot imagine you wanting to do anything different: your oven is stellar!
Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Laborer

Knocked the forms off the foundation pad today...and then the rain came. Did manage to lay out the first course of CMUs for the block stand. Actually thinking of going to five courses (as opposed to the 4 courses per the FB Pompeii Oven plans) in order to get the oven floor height at 45 inches instead of at 37 inches. A number of threads have commented on the advantage of building the oven floor at a slightly higher level, and it sounds like a good idea.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Serf

rj - I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. My wife's away at a conference this weekend so I think I'll be digging and pouring my footers (I already own a mixer, so no need for me to fight the truck issue)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Laborer

Good luck on getting underway, Papercutter. As I'm sure you know, this forum is a goldmine of information and help.
You reminded me that I haven't posted any progress in a long time...I'll have to spend some time doing that.
RJD
Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Laborer

Rain last night means I can’t mow the grass this morning, so I get to try to post some photos and the latest progress on the oven build. I thought we were supposed to be in a semi-drought situation but it has been hard to find a dry day to work over the last two weeks. And then the Honey-do list gets highlighted every time there is a nice day, too.
Got the block stand built. Went with five courses instead of the four called for in the plans to get the greater height I wanted, based on comments by other builders found here. Also visited a local guy who has a WFO (Pre-cast installed some 5 years ago---from a company we shall not mention with a name starting with M) which provided some good ideas on stand design, height, chimney covers, running electricity out to the oven, etc. Could not find 2x2x3/8” angle iron at either Home Depot or Lowes, but a local building supply had 3x4x1/4” in 5-ft. lengths at the same price as 2x2x1/8” available at Home Depot---so we went with that. Called for a little more grinding on the block to get the fit, but the handy-dandy HF $19.95 grinder did its thing. I have to say, for a total newbie like myself it is constantly surprising how much cement goes into the process of filling the cores of the block. I used 28 80-lb. bags to take care of the alternated cores in this stand, together with the blocks for the adjacent countertop work area. That was kept at four courses, topped with 4” solid block to get the height I want with a stone work surface placed on top. I just did two parallel rows of block for that area, with no thought of saving any space underneath. It may not look pretty, but with a as-yet-undetermined thin stone veneer and the countertop in place, I expect it will be better.
With that done last week, spent this week (between thunderstorms) building the form for the oven pad. Was able to reuse the 2x8’s that had been used for the foundation for most of it; fastened them to the block stand with #10x 2 and 1/2” SPAX construction screws leaving 4” revealed for the pour. Corners are tied together with the SPAX screws, and reinforced with Simpson Strong-Tie angles, and straps where not a right angle. The tops of the form on each side is braced with 2x4‘s. Floor is 23/32 plywood supported on 2x4’s screwed into all block walls with two supporting joists 24” apart down the center (floor is 72” wide). Four legs support each of the 2x4’s and each joist. Have I overdone this? Not enough? I have bad visions of what the mess would be like if this were to blow out and spread cement all over the pool deck. Covered the plywood with a sheet of 6 mil plastic (hoping to be able to re-use plywood, perhaps) and tied in the rebar on 9” centers since I had a few extra pieces.
So we are ready to pour on Tuesday, which is the earliest I can get a conscripted relative to help me. I calculated about 18 cu.ft., making it too small for the service I used for the foundation pour, so I’m renting a 9 cu. ft. mixer from Sunbelt. From the documentation I find on the Internet, there is a notable discrepancy between the stated capacity and the amount of actual material that can be mixed at any one time, but I think we can do this in about 4 batches. Even with the time spent shoveling it up into the form, it should be fast enough to allow working the cement before it begins to set up. I have one of those big cantilevered pool umbrellas which can provide shade over the whole pad, which should help with that, too. Of course, with the warm weather coming on, I now have to dance around the pool furniture every time I want to get some work done. The adventure continues!
Robert

Photos of recent work follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.-build6.jpg   Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.-build7.jpg   Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.-build8.jpg   Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.-build9.jpg   Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.-build10.jpg  

Last edited by rjdealhome; 05-26-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Error on dimension
Old 05-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Serf

rj - feel free to contact me if you have trouble finding materials (like the angle iron). I'm a landscape designer in NoVA and I can probably point you in the right direction.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Apprentice

If you haven't poured your top slab yet and still think an ash drop is something to consider...now's your last chance. I am extremely happy we put one in (as "Faith in Virginia" noted it really does cut down on the mess). I simply put two 2x4 pieces of wood in front of my targeted oven opening +6" and poured the top slab. The wood creates a void in the slab and when it's removed, you have an ash slot. I definitely would suggest using foam instead of wood, since the wood absorbed water from the concrete and swelled making it a bear to get out! I set one of these void forms up for a friend with Styrofoam at the desired ash slot location in the top slab form and it worked like a charm.

After I removed the 2x4 ash drop void-form wood, I placed a metal bin under the drop. (Initially, I just put the bin on some blocks to raise it to the correct height and now I've got the bin on a rail system mounted under the top slab/ash slot.) I then made a sliding lid for the bin. When I need to sweep out coals/ashes, I simply pull back the top cover on the bin, sweep the ashes into the bin below through the slot, and then slide the cover back into place. The ashes & remaining coals die out quickly and I don't have to deal with them until after the guests are gone.
Mymojosodope57 likes this.
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SableSprings; 05-27-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Laborer

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, everyone.

Mike, I haven't made a final decision on the ash drop, but thanks for the tip on the Styrofoam---I'll definitely do that if I decide to go with that option.

Robert
Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Laborer

Did the pour of the oven pad today. Renting the mixer from Sunbelt was absolutely the right way to go. Went through 29 bags of Sakrtete (just about 18 cu. ft.) but did not have too much trouble working the cement in spite of the heat and humidity today. The real pain was shoveling the mix up into the form, especially since I had decided to put the pad at a higher elevation; but using the mixer kept things moving quickly and we had plenty of time to screed and float the surface before it started to set up.
I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.
Robert

Last edited by rjdealhome; 05-30-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Laborer

As per prior warning, attached are photos of i cugini Giordano busting hump as they try to make pretty with the concrete yesterday. The grungy fellow on the left is myself (Giordano on the maternal side), while the equally slovenly fellow on the right is my cousin John (willing conscript, and actual carrier of the surname.) I have nothing but good things to say about the Multiquip mixer rented from Sunbelt---it really made this whole process a lot easier. Even though the stated capacity is 9 cu.ft., we did 5 bags at a time (3 cu. ft.), having decided that we could not easily control dumping more material into the wheelbarrow---this turned out to be really true, and as it was, we could only handle about half that quantity in the wheelbarrow at any one time. Basically, we were shoveling it up into the form, agitating it, and screeding as we went along from back to front. Even though it took 6 batches, with the benefit of the shade from the cantilevered umbrella it worked out pretty well and we feel that we got a good uniform, contiguous pour, but it was a really a chore for these two old farts. As is evident, concrete has a wonderful propensity to go everywhere----I think I spent another hour after we were finished cleaning splatters off the back fence.
The finished pad is currently under wraps ( a sheet of 6 mil plastic) curing for a few days. I will probably knock the forms off the sides tomorrow afternoon, but plan on leaving the floor in place. As it is, we are departing on Friday for a month in Mexico, so plenty of time for the pad to cure properly. The beginning of construction of the oven proper will wait until our return July 1st.
Attached Thumbnails
Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.-build11.jpg   Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.-build12.jpg   Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.-build13.jpg   Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.-build14.jpg   Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.-build15.jpg